Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   CVA inline .45 muzzleloader (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/cva-inline-45-muzzleloader-50680/)

mcbasinhunter 10-27-2011 07:42 PM

CVA inline .45 muzzleloader

Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance

fmj 10-27-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter (Post 612394)
Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance

Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.

mcbasinhunter 10-27-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 612398)
Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.

It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.

JonM 10-27-2011 07:56 PM

i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.

fmj 10-27-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter (Post 612409)
It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.

It should be ok to go outside and shoot it...but MY worry would be living in your listed area the humidity getting to the powder charge and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.

I would just dump the load and hope the barrel isnt rusted all to hell.

fmj 10-27-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 612414)
i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.

OH MAN, you aint chittin' 'bout that....i LOVE my inline compared to my side lock for a myriad of reasons...this being one of them.

JonM 10-27-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 612416)
and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.

this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.

fmj 10-27-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 612433)
this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.

Yeah! What he said!!!

Hawg 10-28-2011 06:13 AM

I've fired off sidelocks that had been loaded for years and fired like they were just loaded. The only problem is you don't know what he loaded it with.

hawkman1 10-31-2011 04:16 AM

If it doesn't fire, You can hook up a CO2 cartridge device and blow it out as well. I believe Traditions sells something like that. My brother has one for his muzzle loader and it works well. It just hooks up to your nipple and you hit the trigger for the CO2 and out comes the round ball or whatever is inside. Here... I found one on the internet.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RMC/EC_Unloader.asp