Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   CVA .50 Muzzle loader (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/cva-50-muzzle-loader-93650/)

OandB 07-09-2013 10:45 PM

CVA .50 Muzzle loader

There was a CVA black powder at the local pawn shop for $80. Good deal or stay away?

hiwall 07-09-2013 11:12 PM

Sounds fair if you want one.

fmj 07-10-2013 12:08 AM

What model?

Be sure to check the bore.

mdauben 07-10-2013 12:10 AM

Hard to go wrong for that price, but be sure to check the bore carefully with a flash light. Rusted barrels are very common in poorly cleaned ML guns.

OandB 07-10-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj
What model?

Be sure to check the bore.

I'm not sure the model, I really know very little about mussel loaders so I was really interested but for $80 I thought I would ask around

fmj 07-10-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdauben (Post 1299913)
Hard to go wrong for that price, but be sure to check the bore carefully with a flash light. Rusted barrels are very common in poorly cleaned ML guns.

This dead on....CVA makes great guns in my experience...but owners have a tendency to fail the gun by not properly cleaning. Black powder (and substitutes) are extremely corrosive.

c3shooter 07-10-2013 12:42 PM

O&B- changed your spelling on title- it is muzzle loader.

As the folks have said- it COULD be a decent price. Use one of those little LED flashlights with the flexible neck (they make great bore lights for regular guns) and take a hard look at the bore, and check for rust on the outside around the nipple. Use the ramrod to check the bore and be sure it is not loaded.

(Push ramrod down barrel, mark end of rod at muzzle with thumb, pull rod out, lay alongside barrel, should come all the way back to nipple. If it if a couple of inches short, someone left a charge in there)

Garadex 07-10-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1300376)
O&B- changed your spelling on title- it is muzzle loader.

As the folks have said- it COULD be a decent price. Use one of those little LED flashlights with the flexible neck (they make great bore lights for regular guns) and take a hard look at the bore, and check for rust on the outside around the nipple. Use the ramrod to check the bore and be sure it is not loaded.

(Push ramrod down barrel, mark end of rod at muzzle with thumb, pull rod out, lay alongside barrel, should come all the way back to nipple. If it if a couple of inches short, someone left a charge in there)

That could end up horrendous.

c3shooter 07-10-2013 05:59 PM

I mention it, because it would not be the first time that a muzzleloader got pawned while loaded.

northeast_hunter 07-24-2013 01:10 AM

I've heard some horror stories when buying guns from pawn shops in the past, but sometimes you can really score. For $80, it could be a good deal, depending on the model. But, the CVA Buckhorn sells around $130 new, so for the minimal difference, I'd buy new for a piece of mind. One of my friends turned me onto muzzle-loaders.com, and said he had good dealings with them, so that's where I've been looking. Personally, I would see if you could fire the gun first.