CVA 50 cal Mountain percussion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > CVA 50 cal Mountain percussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa
kycol,

A beautiful piece! Nice work!
Thanks my wife bought me the kit about 28 years ago

Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As far as I know, the CVA Mountain rifles are not that rare, but are definitely shooters. After getting my .50, I gave away my TC Hawken. FYI, I have also had outstanding luck with the Lee REAL. Be sure to get the lighter one as the heavy is too long for the slow twist barrel and lube with Bore Butter or something similar.

Picked up an almost finished "kit" rifle in .58 that I have yet to work with, but looks like fun.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Anyone have any idea to the time period the CVA Mountains werre produced? Were they kits or non-kits?

Thanks to all who have enlightened me. I am a complete novice to BP. Once I shot an old inline BP (one shot). That is the sum total of my BP experience.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If memory serves, they were from the late 70's to mid-80's. They were offered as both complete and in kit form. My .50 was complete while my .58 was someone's 80% finished kit.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Here is a real novice question: Am I correct that to properly clean this rifle I need to take out the wedges and remove the barrel from the stock? If so, how do the wedges come out? Just drive them out? From which side?

Are extra wedges easy to come by?

By the way, I just purchased a commercial poster about this rifle that indicates it was being sold in 1978.

cva-mountain-poster.jpg  

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa
Here is a real novice question: Am I correct that to properly clean this rifle I need to take out the wedges and remove the barrel from the stock? If so, how do the wedges come out? Just drive them out? From which side?

Are extra wedges easy to come by?

By the way, I just purchased a commercial poster about this rifle that indicates it was being sold in 1978.
Usually you can just take a flat screw driver and just smack it with your palm to knock out the wedges. Then just lift up front of the barrel to remove it.just look at the wedge it is obvious that they only go in one direction. I then ether fill a bucket or the sink with hot water, pour some dish washing liquid down the barrel. Take my cleaning rod with cleaning patch and start swabbing this will force water in and out of the nipple and it gets the water dirty very quick so change it a few times till it is clean. (note here for novice the cleaning rod is not like one for modern fire arms no loop for cleaning patch, the black power cleaning rod has a brass button you lay the patch over the end of the barrel in push it in with the rod causing it to wrap around the button)
Now that it clean run the hottest water you can through it and get it as dry as you can with new patches, the use lots of WD40 patches to get out rest of moisture. Then patch it with a heavier oil, I use 3in1 a good amount with clean patch. Should go with out saying make sure do the outside of barrel too.
Then I put to barrel back on, push the wedges back in. I fold a patch place over the nipple let the hammer down to hold the patch in place. Stand the rifle up and place a liberal amount of 3in1 oil around the inside bore (enough that I am sure it will make it to that patch I placed over the nipple) the place in standing back in my gun cabinet till next time.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #17

Likes Given: 2

I too found a CVA Mountain Rifle in a pawn shop about 3 years ago. It was/is a .54 cal with a 32" octagon barrel and screw adjustable rear sight. It also has double triggers and a nice cheek rest in what seems to be a walnut stock. With 100gr fff and a patched round ball, a paper plate does not have a chance at 100 yds. 10 out of 10, every time. Of course I have to swab the barrel between shots, but that goes without saying. I paid $100 for it.I will post some pics as soon as I can take some.

NAHC Life Member
G&G CETME Club
The PSL Lounge
Minister

Old 08-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

last evening I found three more issues with my rifle.

1. The side-lock has one very small screw that has been peened so that the slot is not visible. In order to remove the side-lock, I will have to drill out the screw head or find another way to get it out.
2. After a very close inspection, I am sure mine is from a kit due to the way the screws have been set in. A couple are off to the side and not exactly in the center.
3. The double trigger does not work unless I don't know how to use it. I pull it back to full cock, the rear trigger does nothing. When I pull the forward trigger, it shoots.

Any suggestions? No, I have not yet shot it. I am waiting on a cleaning rod that I ordered from the internet.

Last edited by drboompa; 08-31-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don357
I too found a CVA Mountain Rifle in a pawn shop about 3 years ago. It was/is a .54 cal with a 32" octagon barrel and screw adjustable rear sight. It also has double triggers and a nice cheek rest in what seems to be a walnut stock. With 100gr fff and a patched round ball, a paper plate does not have a chance at 100 yds. 10 out of 10, every time. Of course I have to swab the barrel between shots, but that goes without saying. I paid $100 for it.I will post some pics as soon as I can take some.
Why do you have to swab out barrel between shots? I never have

Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #20

Likes Given: 2

Using a .530 ball and .015 patch, I can barely push a ball down the barrel after about 5 or 6 shots.

NAHC Life Member
G&G CETME Club
The PSL Lounge
Minister