Considering first black powder rifle purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Considering first black powder rifle purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Considering first black powder rifle purchase

I am considering purchasing my first black powder rifle. I want a Revolutionary War to Civil War era muzzle loader replica that is cheap enough for me to take to the range to shoot. I know about the history of a lot of these firearms, but I don't know much about what to look for when I'm purchasing one and what to expect from these as far as maintenance and reliability. I've heard from friends that the barrels require extra cleaning and all, but am I looking at having to replace the parts constantly or will a little cleaning and maintenance do the trick? What are some good sites or stores to check out for cost effective black powder rifles? Do most of them still shoot ball ammo and how hard/expensive is it? Thank you for the help, any other useful information that I may need to know is also welcome. Again, I just want a black powder rifle that I can shoot around at the range, not an authentic mint condition collector's item.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Repros start at around 700 for an 1861 Springfield to 1000 for a Brown Bess and upwards from there. Quality is pretty good on most of the Italian guns. I've got an Armisport 53 Enfield I bought in the 80's and have never even had to change the nipple. It's accurate to minute of five gallon bucket at 300 yds. with a traditional minie ball and 70 grs. of powder. Cleanup is with hot soapy water. Don't use petroleum based lubes. If you decide to get a flintlock like the Brown Bess make sure you can get real bp. Subs do not work well if at all in most flinters. BTW the Brown Bess has no rear sight. I'd take a look at Cabela's and see what they have. Might find a good used one on gunbroker.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

10 years ago you could buy a nice CVA muzzleloader for under $200. Or a Thompson Center Hawken for under $400. For some reason CVA went out of the sidelock business and now only makes inlines. I believe they sold their "primitive" line of BP rifles to Traditions. If you don't want to spend a fortune on an authentic replica, look at Midsouthshooters.com. They sell the Lyman Great Plains and other rifles for a reasonable cost. They also sell a Traditions "Crockett Rifle" which is similar to a Pennsylvania Rifle in .32 cal. which is lots of fum for squirrel hunting or target shooting.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

By the OP referencing the Revolution and C.W. I assumed he was looking for military weapons. No matter. Cabela's has a pretty good range of other rifle styles.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Take a look at Dixie gun Works, they have a large selection.Heres a link.
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
By the OP referencing the Revolution and C.W. I assumed he was looking for military weapons. No matter. Cabela's has a pretty good range of other rifle styles.
Cabela's has ab EXCELLENT variety - I thought the OP was interested in starting out with something less than historically relevent. Milspec replica's cost as much or more than a new AR..
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"