Colt Dragoon

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Colt Dragoon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Dragoon

I just bought a Colt Dragoon blackpowder pistol and I am not sure how to load it. I think I have to put the ball, then some 27gr black powder, ram it, then seal it? Which end do I load it from and do I have the correct grain?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put the hammer at half cock so it spins freely, then put the powder in the chamber, seat the bullet and ram it down and seal it off with some lube to get a good gas seal. Cabelas website has a video to show you if you want to see it done.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

DON'T cap the nipples 'til YOU ARE READY TO FIRE. Leave ONE chamber UNLOADED and carry the arm with the hammer on that chamber. Just a bump to the hammer on a black powder arm will KILL you or a bystander.

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
DON'T cap the nipples 'til YOU ARE READY TO FIRE. Leave ONE chamber UNLOADED and carry the arm with the hammer on that chamber. Just a bump to the hammer on a black powder arm will KILL you or a bystander.
That's good advice but it would take more than a bump to set one off, especially if it was on the safety notch. I know the notch is the weak link but just sayin.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's good advice but it would take more than a bump to set one off, especially if it was on the safety notch. I know the notch is the weak link but just sayin.
Overadvice to a novice shooter that may forget the safety notch or who may drop a capped arm was my intention. I agree with you entirely as far as experienced shooters are concerned. Awareness was my goal. Thanks for your comments to clarify!

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #6

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
Overadvice to a novice shooter that may forget the safety notch or who may drop a capped arm was my intention. I agree with you entirely as far as experienced shooters are concerned. Awareness was my goal. Thanks for your comments to clarify!
OK, that's cool. Better safe than sorry

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php