Colt 1851 Navy 1st Model
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Colt 1851 Navy 1st Model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt 1851 Navy 1st Model

Hello everyone,
I recently acquired an 1851 Colt Navy in what I would call very good condition. I believe this gun to be a first model. The reason I say this is its serial number is 492, it has a square trigger guard and the locking screw is below the wedge. I believe only there may have been only 800 of this model made prior to the 2nd model.
It has a 7 ½ inch barrel measured to the cylinder
It is USA New York manufactured gun with “ADDRESS SMAL COLT NEW YOUR CITY” on the top of barrel. There is surface rust all over the steel components which would clean off but I’m loath to touch it in fear of reducing its value. The engraving on the cylinder seems good and not rubbed off but is obscured by the surface rust. Everything seems fine mechanically . It is stamped “COLT’S PATENT” on the left hand side. All serial numbers match and the silver on the grip guard is about 95% (the base metal looks to be brass). Although the walnut grips are in good condition they are dirty and show little to no varnish. The only possible problem I see is that the pivot that joins the lever and plunger seems to be a pin and not a screw and there may be a small crack in that area on one side of the pivot. The pin could be a situation where the head of the screw has been filed off or perhaps the 1st model used a pin- I would appreciate help here. I can provide photos to anyone who is interested.
I do intend to get a letter from Colt in the near future. I know valuation is a difficult question but a knowledgeable ball park figure would be appreciated. I believe this gun has been in the same family for about 60 years and know nothing about it before that.

Oh just to let you know I'm in Australia so information is limited here.

Thank you in advance

Grant

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Here are a couple of photos

dscn1486.jpg   dscn1488.jpg   dscn1478-1.jpg  

Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Oh come on, I can't believe nobody here at this wonderful site can't add something to my post. Pleeeease help even if it is just a little and thank you.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasia View Post
Oh come on, I can't believe nobody here at this wonderful site can't add something to my post. Pleeeease help even if it is just a little and thank you.
hi Ozasia, I need better pics of the barrel adress and srial nmbrs,something fishy about this gun(no expert here ,just my opinion) ,it could be a replica that's been worked to give it that "been there " look,the verry heavy pitting and overal condition of this gun does not add up with the condition of the backstrap and grips,further the serial range of the first model navy(with square backstrap) are between 1 and 1250 ,so that makes this one the rarest version of the 51 navy,and I am very currious on howmuch you payed,Flayderman valued the gun 5000$ -32.500$,I I don't think that Colt can provide a letter for this early guns.I would take the gun apart and clean with gun oil ,but I am sure that other memebers have better suggestions
sorry mate that it took a while for any reply ,.....that Pleeeeease sounded like a real cry for help
sheers,

Last edited by Reinhard; 08-02-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Hello Reinhard,

Thank you very much for your reply I appreciate your time. I bought it from a close friend of my brothers who got it when his father died about 3 years ago. it was part of his fathers possessions and according to the guys cousin it actually belonged to his grand mother before it was passes to his father. He has no interest in guns and was simply glad to get rid of it. I paid $2000. The photos do not do the gun justice. I have found a couple of local (in Australia) experts, one currently writing a book on colts in Australia. Both have said it is genuine but they only have had the photos to go by, although I will be showing it to one of them in the next couple of weeks. The other guy is about 1100 miles away an I will be seeing him about mid September and he is interested in including it in his book. I hope the extra photos are provide a better view.

Thanks again

Grant

dscn1503.jpg   dscn1504.jpg  

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #6

I wasn't able to get a good photo of the barrel address as my camera isn't good enough but I'll try over the next week with the assistance of my brother's camera. Hope the attached photo helps.

dscn1524.jpg  

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Nice pistol. I have nothing to add as I am no expert on those but I would like one someday.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It looks good to me. It has the correct screw under the wedge unlike later ones but the wedge is inserted from the wrong side. The screw head on the ram has been filed or broken off. It goes in from the right side unlike later models which go in from the left.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

no doubt that the gun is original, and $2000 is a good price, I would pay that money anny day,I was thinking in the region of $3500-$4000, congrats you did well

Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies I knew this site was full of good people.