Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Clueless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Clueless

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I hope you guys can help me out with identifying an old flintlock rifle. My wife's family has come across this old gun and they want me to use "that internet thingy" to see if anyone can help us identify it. It does not have any manufacturers markings or serial numbers anywhere that I can find. It is an over under that flips over for two shots and is a mussel load. I apologize if some of my terminology in not correct. Here are some pictures if anyone would like to help:

img_0132.jpg

img_0129.jpg

img_0131.jpg

img_0128.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to add that it has rifled barrels so I figure it is not too old.

Last edited by warrenstipe; 06-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice Sentra!
(just signing in to see the answer from the smart peeps)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community.

I have to say, that is one of the most unusual weapons I have seen. The only revolving flintlock I have ever personally seen was a replica of a British Revolver from way back in the day. I have never seen a rifle of the same make.

We have a lot of Blackpowder Experts here and I am sure one of them will be along shortly to answer your question.

JD

Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you do a Google search for "swivel breech flintlock", you will find photos of some modern-made reproductions which look similar to this. There are a few people around, still assembling these guns by hand. They may or may not mark their names on the guns.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #5

Thanks ofitg. I did a search for the swivel breech flintlock and I found a lot of useful information. It appears that if it is an original Kentucky Swivel breech flintlock made in the late 1800 it could be worth $20K plus. No such luck though. I discovered that there was an individual named J.T. Phillips from Beebe, Arkansas who made a few high quality reproductions in the 70's and 80's. This makes sense because the owner of the gun lives in Cherry Valley, Arkansas which is about an hour and a half from Beebe. There is also a name engraved on the barrel that I cannot make out in my picture. If I had to guess though I would say it is probably Phillips. The owner and his friends cannot see well enough to tell me what the engraving says. I think I will start the conversation off with "if it is an original it could be worth $20,000 or more" and then let them down gently that it is reproduction. Hopefully there will not be any heart attacks.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Judging by the condition, I would bet a mess of money that is NOT an original 1800's rifle. Sure is pretty though.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Rifled barrels were fairly common by the late 1800's, but I doubt that one is, as Robo stated. That is unless someone cleaned it very well and removed patina and all. If that is the case, the firearm would not be as valuable. One way to help read any names on the barrel, have them do a rubbing. Put a piece of white paper over the name and use charcoal or black pencil and...well you get the idea. Old people should know what a rubbing is.

Beautiful rifle.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Cabelas was selling swivel barrel black powder rifles a few years ago, made by Uberti I think.