Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Clueless (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/clueless-27834/)

warrenstipe 06-02-2010 07:01 PM

Clueless

4 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I hope you guys can help me out with identifying an old flintlock rifle. My wife's family has come across this old gun and they want me to use "that internet thingy" to see if anyone can help us identify it. It does not have any manufacturers markings or serial numbers anywhere that I can find. It is an over under that flips over for two shots and is a mussel load. I apologize if some of my terminology in not correct. Here are some pictures if anyone would like to help:

Attachment 15111

Attachment 15112

Attachment 15113

Attachment 15114

Sorry, I forgot to add that it has rifled barrels so I figure it is not too old.

orangello 06-02-2010 07:07 PM

Nice Sentra!
(just signing in to see the answer from the smart peeps)

Dillinger 06-02-2010 07:17 PM

Welcome to the FTF Community.

I have to say, that is one of the most unusual weapons I have seen. The only revolving flintlock I have ever personally seen was a replica of a British Revolver from way back in the day. I have never seen a rifle of the same make.

We have a lot of Blackpowder Experts here and I am sure one of them will be along shortly to answer your question.

JD

ofitg 06-02-2010 10:58 PM

If you do a Google search for "swivel breech flintlock", you will find photos of some modern-made reproductions which look similar to this. There are a few people around, still assembling these guns by hand. They may or may not mark their names on the guns.

warrenstipe 06-03-2010 02:22 AM

Thanks ofitg. I did a search for the swivel breech flintlock and I found a lot of useful information. It appears that if it is an original Kentucky Swivel breech flintlock made in the late 1800 it could be worth $20K plus. No such luck though. I discovered that there was an individual named J.T. Phillips from Beebe, Arkansas who made a few high quality reproductions in the 70's and 80's. This makes sense because the owner of the gun lives in Cherry Valley, Arkansas which is about an hour and a half from Beebe. There is also a name engraved on the barrel that I cannot make out in my picture. If I had to guess though I would say it is probably Phillips. The owner and his friends cannot see well enough to tell me what the engraving says. I think I will start the conversation off with "if it is an original it could be worth $20,000 or more" and then let them down gently that it is reproduction. Hopefully there will not be any heart attacks.

robocop10mm 06-03-2010 02:53 AM

Judging by the condition, I would bet a mess of money that is NOT an original 1800's rifle. Sure is pretty though.

skullcrusher 06-03-2010 03:26 AM

Rifled barrels were fairly common by the late 1800's, but I doubt that one is, as Robo stated. That is unless someone cleaned it very well and removed patina and all. If that is the case, the firearm would not be as valuable. One way to help read any names on the barrel, have them do a rubbing. Put a piece of white paper over the name and use charcoal or black pencil and...well you get the idea. Old people should know what a rubbing is.

Beautiful rifle.

freefall 06-06-2010 02:34 AM

Cabelas was selling swivel barrel black powder rifles a few years ago, made by Uberti I think.