Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > cleaning after each shot??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I'm going to pick up the smaller can at WalMart this weekend! I need to replace the G-96 I can no longer find. Will Ballistol harm the finish on wood stocks?
I've never used it on my stock. I always use a few drops of Hoppes #9 on my stock. Its just out of habit I guess since thats what I've always used. Because Ballistol is made of all natural plant oils is advertised as being perfectly safe on metal parts, bluing, leather slings and gun stocks.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
I've never used it on my stock. I always use a few drops of Hoppes #9 on my stock. Its just out of habit I guess since thats what I've always used. Because Ballistol is made of all natural plant oils is advertised as being perfectly safe on metal parts, bluing, leather slings and gun stocks.
I wasn't planning on using it on my stock, but I did manage to remove the laquer coating on my Mossberg .22 when I accidentally got Hoppes #9 on it about 30 years ago. That's when I started using G-96 spray. But like you say, if Ballistol is made from natural plant oils it's probably safe on wood finishes and may even be good for oiled wood stocks! It may even be made from the same stuff as the T/C Natuaral Lube 1000 Bore butter. But the Bore Butter smells real nice - just like Beechnut oil!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-12-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think there is a difference between conical bullets commonly used now for hunting and the minie which had millitary applications especially during the civil war. I think the the rifles were known as rifled muskets or musketoons. The minie had a conical head with a hollow base and thin skirts that would expand and grab the rifling as the ball made its way down the barrel. The advantage was speed in reloading not having to use a patched ball. In the past manufactoring specs were not near as accurate and standardized as they are nowadays. Now I'm guessing. I think now they can use the conical bullets without a patch because specs are uniform. I think in the Springfield rifled musket the rifling didn't go all the way to the end of the barrel which enabled you to easily start the minie ball. Maybe someone has experience with civil war muskets. Did soldiers have to run a clean patch down their barrels during the heat of battle? CD

Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
I think there is a difference between conical bullets commonly used now for hunting and the minie which had millitary applications especially during the civil war. I think the the rifles were known as rifled muskets or musketoons. The minie had a conical head with a hollow base and thin skirts that would expand and grab the rifling as the ball made its way down the barrel. The advantage was speed in reloading not having to use a patched ball. In the past manufactoring specs were not near as accurate and standardized as they are nowadays. Now I'm guessing. I think now they can use the conical bullets without a patch because specs are uniform. I think in the Springfield rifled musket the rifling didn't go all the way to the end of the barrel which enabled you to easily start the minie ball. Maybe someone has experience with civil war muskets. Did soldiers have to run a clean patch down their barrels during the heat of battle? CD
No they didn't. They should have but they would not have the time to do it when they were getting shot at. The problem with Civil War re-enacting is there are too many people that insist they have to pound down the rounds and try to shoot like a modern bolt action rifle (one round after then next after the next as fast as possible) It just was not like that during the war. After a few rounds the fouling in the the rifled musket would be so bad that it would take great effort just to get the minnie ball down the barrel into the breech. This would slow down thier reloading and shooting time a great deal. If they could clean thier bore reloading and shooting would have gone much faster but it wasn't going to happen at that time giving the linear tactics they were using. I don't know much about the Springfield I know the most about the 1853 Enfield since thats what I own and shoot. I don't know if the rifiling in the Springfield went all the way down into the breech. The guns were called rifled muskets and a musketoon was a smaller carbine version of the bigger full size rifles. An example of this would be the Enfield 1861 Musketoon. It was pretty much exactly like the bigger full size 1853 Enfield rifled musket but it only weighed (about) 7.8 pounds (1853 Enfield was 9 pounds) had a 24 inch barrel (1853 Enfield had a 39 inch barrel) and had two barrel bands instead of three. It was widely distributed in the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. The idea was for faster reloading without having to use a patch, it was faster but not by much. It was fast at the start but again after a few rounds the fouling from black powder and lead would cause reloading to slow down a great amount.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I remember reading historical accounts of rifles found on the battlefields which contained numerous balls or bullets packed down the barrel. In the heat of battle, soldiers would forget whether they already loaded their gun and load it again, and again.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #26

Quote:
I remember reading historical accounts of rifles found on the battlefields which contained numerous balls or bullets packed down the barrel. In the heat of battle, soldiers would forget whether they already loaded their gun and load it again, and again.
That happened alot. They have found alot of over loaded rifles at Gettysburg and other Civil War battle fields. Sometimes the men would forget if they had loaded or not which is pretty easy to do. As a re-enactor there have been many times where things have gotten so crazy I've forgotten wheather or not I loaded. When I live shoot I always concentrate and do everything step by step slowly. Other times the soldiers couldn't face the fact that they had to kill someone and when the next volley would come they would load thier gun and pretend to shoot. There would be so many guns going off at once that most of the times the officers wouldn't notice a few scared privates not really shooting. They would keep loading and pretending to shoot until they had 5 or 6 bullets stuck in thier gun.

Last edited by Slickrick214; 07-13-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default to RL357mag

Thanks very much for the detailed information. I really appreciate it very much.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa View Post
Thanks very much for the detailed information. I really appreciate it very much.
You're very welcome! And I know you'll do the same someday. This is how we all learn and it's an honor and a pleasure to pass on information about the hobby we all love.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
That happened alot. They have found alot of over loaded rifles at Gettysburg and other Civil War battle fields. Sometimes the men would forget if they had loaded or not which is pretty easy to do. As a re-enactor there have been many times where things have gotten so crazy I've forgotten wheather or not I loaded. When I live shoot I always concentrate and do everything step by step slowly. Other times the soldiers couldn't face the fact that they had to kill someone and when the next volley would come they would load thier gun and pretend to shoot. There would be so many guns going off at once that most of the times the officers wouldn't notice a few scared privates not really shooting. They would keep loading and pretending to shoot until they had 5 or six bullets stuck in thier gun.
I've used my bullet pulling jag a couple of times also...better safe than sorry!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #30

Quote:
I've used my bullet pulling jag a couple of times also...better safe than sorry!
When shooting blanks for re-enacting I try to avoid double loading but if you do its not the end of the world. Its 90 grains of powder and the gun is not going to explode. I've done it a few times and there probably isn't a re-enactor out there who hasn't double loaded at least once. It just alot louder and you feel the recoil more. When that happens you just look around and hope that no one could tell that you over loaded even though you know that everyone in one square mile could hear your shot because it was louder then everyone elses. If I get distracted when I live shoot and I forget if I poured the powder charge in or rammed the bullet home I use my ram rod to measure it out. For the 1853 Enflield the ram rod should go all the way down and make a slight pinging noise if it is empy. I also have two marks on the ramrod. One is a mark for powder charge and the other is a mark powder charge and bullet. If I get distracted and I forget my place I stick the ram rod down the barrel. If it only goes to the powder mark then I know I loaded the charge in but there's no bullet rammed home yet. The same thing goes with the mark that shows I'm fully loaded.

Last edited by Slickrick214; 07-13-2008 at 03:11 AM.