cleaning after each shot?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > cleaning after each shot??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

There is a very big difference between using pure vinegar on a gun and using Windex with vinegar to clean a muzzleloader. Windex with vinegar is about 5% vinegar and will not hurt the blue or cause the barrel to rust. Been using the stuff since 1999 on my guns with no problems. My inline rifles get cleaned in five minutes thanks to the stuff.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hot soapy water is much cheaper than Windex and has been used by more people for decades to clean black powder residue.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Hot soapy water is much cheaper than Windex and has been used by more people for decades to clean black powder residue.
That and Ballistol is all you need. I use hot water, brass birstle brush and a few drops of ballistol. After I get done with my musket its so clean you could eat off of it.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Over the last 26 years I have literally tried every BP solvent on the market. The best I found was called Black Solve - I believe it was made in Canada- it came in a small plastic bottle and looked like green water...when I couldn't find it anymore I ended up going back to basics - dish soap and water - boiling water rinse - oil. For long guns I oil with T/C Bore butter after the boiling water evaporates. The stuff disolves and flows with the heat generated from the boiling water. The Bore Butter actually conditions the metal after repeated use and makes fouling a thing of the past. And since it is not petroleum based there is never any chance of cross-contaminating powder or caps. It's one product that actually works as stated! It also makes a really good grease for applying to loaded revolver cylinders and removes the crud build up on them so you can keep shooting instead of cleaning.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Over the last 26 years I have literally tried every BP solvent on the market. The best I found was called Black Solve - I believe it was made in Canada- it came in a small plastic bottle and looked like green water...when I couldn't find it anymore I ended up going back to basics - dish soap and water - boiling water rinse - oil. For long guns I oil with T/C Bore butter after the boiling water evaporates. The stuff disolves and flows with the heat generated from the boiling water. The Bore Butter actually conditions the metal after repeated use and makes fouling a thing of the past. And since it is not petroleum based there is never any chance of cross-contaminating powder or caps. It's one product that actually works as stated! It also makes a really good grease for applying to loaded revolver cylinders and removes the crud build up on them so you can keep shooting instead of cleaning.
So far of all the black powder solvents I have used the only one that seems to really work is Ballistol. It seems to really get alot of the junk out of there especially in the nipple area leading into the breech. I've heard good things about Bore Butter but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
So far of all the black powder solvents I have used the only one that seems to really work is Ballistol. It seems to really get alot of the junk out of there especially in the nipple area leading into the breech. I've heard good things about Bore Butter but I haven't tried it yet.
Ballistol makes a BP specific cleaner? I know they make a popular general putpose spray cleaner/lube. I've yet to try it, but I know of many who use it. I've been using G-96 for about 30 years and love the stuff - it doesn;t damage wood stocks either, but it's getting real expensive ($11/can) and very hard to find.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Ballistol makes a BP specific cleaner? I know they make a popular general putpose spray cleaner/lube. I've yet to try it, but I know of many who use it. I've been using G-96 for about 30 years and love the stuff - it doesn;t damage wood stocks either, but it's getting real expensive ($11/can) and very hard to find.
No they don't make a solvent specifically for black powder. They're general purpose Sportsman gun oil does the trick though. Whatevers in it is great at dissolving black powder, lead, and copper residue. Its not petroleum based so its all natural. Its suppose to be made of some plant oil. It works great but it smells like a dirty butt. After I let it sit in the nipple area and let it settle into the breech I clean it out. The first time I used it I couldn't beleive how much junk it got out of the nipple area. Globs of brownish black junk just came right out when I capped off the musket.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will have to try some. The petroleum based cleaners are known to screw up muzzleloades by filling in the pores with oil - this increases fouling. The T/C Bore Butter (also called Natural Lube 1000) is supposed to condition the bore each time it is used. Sounds like Ballistol might work in concert with the Bore Butter rather than remove it.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #19

Quote:
I will have to try some. The petroleum based cleaners are known to screw up muzzleloades by filling in the pores with oil - this increases fouling. The T/C Bore Butter (also called Natural Lube 1000) is supposed to condition the bore each time it is used. Sounds like Ballistol might work in concert with the Bore Butter rather than remove it.
Check out Midway USA gun supplies. The last I checked they had 16oz's of Ballistol for pretty cheap. That was about a year and a half ago though and I don't know if the price went up. I still have that 16oz can from when I first bought it from them about a year and a half ago and that will probably last me another 2 years. Since you only need to use a few drops a 16oz can will last forever.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
Check out Midway USA gun supplies. The last I checked they had 16oz's of Ballistol for pretty cheap. That was about a year and a half ago though and I don't know if the price went up. I still have that 16oz can from when I first bought it from them about a year and a half ago and that will probably last me another 2 years. Since you only need to use a few drops a 16oz can will last forever.
I'm going to pick up the smaller can at WalMart this weekend! I need to replace the G-96 I can no longer find. Will Ballistol harm the finish on wood stocks?