Cap & Ball Bullets

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Cap & Ball Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cap & Ball Bullets

I worked with Tom at Accurate Molds and had him create ideas I had for cap n ball bullets. This is what he made for me, and that I ought to receive in a few more weeks:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-170C-D.png

This one I had the idea for as I read a post of someone loading a ~160 grn .45 Colt bullet and it working well for him. He mentioned it was about the same length as a ball, which gave him the same powder charge with a heavier bullet. This bullet had been 160 grns, but I had the upper driving band lengthened to increase pressure and velocity, as well as made the meplat wider.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-195C-D.png

This is what was created when trying to keep the length that of a ball.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-285C-D.png

This I had made for hunting things that may want retribution. It's shorter than a typical bullet of its weight so as not to take up precious powder capacity.

I have a Pietta Remington '58, and often read that they don't do well with conicals likely due to the slow twist. As the two lighter bullets aren't really longer than a ball I'm hoping these prove to be accurate. I'm anxiously awaiting my mold so I can give 'em a try!

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I am interested in hearing your results. My Pietta shoots Lee conicals way better then round balls but can't be loaded on the gun because they are too long and are very hard to load no matter what when cast with wheel weight alloy. Must be started with a mallet but shoot very well.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

I'm surprised to hear that your Pietta shoots conicals better than RB's. The Lee 200 grn conicals I assume?

Is your's a Remington or Colt repro? Do you know if it has the 1:30" twist? I'm unfamiliar with older models, and my understanding is all of the newer models, minus the Shooter's Model, are the same.

I'm thinking that the 195C would possibly make an excellent medium game hunting bullet, and wish I had a chronograph to see just how fast they can be pushed.

The one thing that gives me pause is that with the long driving bands and increased weight in a small volume may push the pressures too high for a repro using the more energetic powders such as Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 which I use. I'm thinking I'd keep from loading more than what a RB could handle to be safer. I wish I had a way to know for sure if I could load a max charge with them though.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."