Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > can anyone identity this rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't think it was armorer converted because the work is too crude. Civil War armorers did pretty nice work. Also I was more prone to think the caliber was more in line with a .32 or .36, course it is hard to tell caliber from pics. Good call on the patch box screws RL, I didn't catch that. 7 groove rifling has been around since the 1830's. The Whitworth with it's hexagonal bore didn't come about until 1855.
Value? I'm hesitant to say. With a cut down stock with damage and a crudely fitted lock I honestly do not see it selling for 1,000.00 even if it had C.W. provenance.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thanks again

Ok Hawg and RL...Many thanks again..

Old 08-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
7 groove rifling has been around since the 1830's. The Whitworth with it's hexagonal bore didn't come about until 1855.
True about 7 groove rifling, but this gun doesn't have grooves - it has a 7-sided internal bore, like the Whitworth segmented bore, only with 7 sides. If you copy the one pic that has the head-on view of the bore, and lighten it up in whatever photo program you have, you'll see what I'm talking about. I've never seen this type of "rifling", even the Whitworth rifling (discontinued in 1866 in favor of Newton rifling) only has 6 sides. Incidentally, I wasn't referring to the Whitworth Rifle, only the rifling system which he developed and which was used in other rifles prior to 1855.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-09-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
True about 7 groove rifling, but this gun doesn't have grooves - it has a 7-sided internal bore, like the Whitworth segmented bore, only with 7 sides. If you copy the one pic that has the head-on view of the bore, and lighten it up in whatever photo program you have, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Ahhh, ok. I see what you're talking about.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Since W Va did not become a state until 1863, I doubt if that rifle was ever used against Confederate forces. I could see it being used as a home defense/hunting rifle by the original owner and worked on at a later date. With the changes, workmanship and condition, I doubt the value will ever be very high. Most serious collectors will see the issues and offer very little if any. Did you get a copy of the appraisal in $ you mentioned before?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #26

The 15 W.V. Infantry was a volunteer unit that went into general service in 1862. I'm not saying the gun was used in the war. I still doubt it was used in it at all. Somebody obviously thought a lot of it at some point to modernize it. Sporterize it if you will but methinks it was for hunting purposes and nothing more.

Last edited by Hawg; 08-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took a bright flashlight and shone it in the bore and RL is right, the inside is 7 sided and does have 7 grooves all the way down the bore.
No, the lady who sent me the rifle told me she had had is appraised in Denver and they had told her the prices I quoted.
I sent all the pictures I have taken to the guy from Antiques Road Show to see what he thinks of it.
Again, my thanks to all who have responded.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #28

Whatever Rafe tells you you can take to the bank. I know him and he won't steer you wrong. Let us know what he says.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #29

It has the lines of a John and Caleb Vincent rifle, but I don’t think it is, that would have been a later time frame. The piece that is missing was probably a German silver inlay; this was to protect the wood area behind the nipple from the burning effects of the cap. IMO it is an unmolested piece. Don’t try to refinish it! As far as the appraisal I think it is a little low. You also may want to go to muzzleloading forum.com and post there.

Enjoying the NAFTA - SHAFTA

Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default like I said, it could be

I have been looking all over for anything that even resembles this rifle, and I will just keep it.. LOL
Everyone Thanks for your help