Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   can anyone identity this rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/can-anyone-identity-rifle-16603/)

andrewfs 08-06-2009 03:31 PM

can anyone identity this rifle?

4 Attachment(s)
About two weeks ago, a friend gave me this gun. It has an octagon barrel, barrel is between 34 and 35 inches long. It is a muzzle loader and the only Identifying marks on it are the initials S.T.S stamped into the top of the barrel.
I am pretty sure it is a Plains Rifle, but the lady who gave it to me said it came from VA and was used in the civil war..Any one know who may have made it and what its approximate value is? Thanks

andrewfs 08-06-2009 06:37 PM

more information

The rifle was made in St Louis about 1860 maybe later, it was owned by Stephen Stutler from West VA and he used it for hunting. The lady I got it from told me she had it appraised a while back in Denver and the appraiser told her somewhere between 1000 and 1500 bucks. It was german made and considered semi fancy..

spittinfire 08-06-2009 06:42 PM

It's a nice piece either way.

skullcrusher 08-06-2009 07:43 PM

So is it an actual Civil War used piece or just a hunting rifle?

caniswalensis 08-06-2009 07:53 PM

A lot of hunting rifles were pressed into service during the civil war, so it is possible that this rifle was both things.

skullcrusher 08-06-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caniswalensis (Post 140476)
A lot of hunting rifles were pressed into service during the civil war, so it is possible that this rifle was both things.

I understand this, but if it can't be proven to have been used during the war, that hurts value. That is all.

caniswalensis 08-06-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 140491)
I understand this, but if it can't be proven to have been used during the war, that hurts value. That is all.

Sure, I wasn't impuning your knowledge, just chiming in.

Hawg 08-06-2009 10:10 PM

I seriously doubt it saw war use. Hunting rifles and even shotguns were pressed into service by Southern volunteers during the first year but were quickly discarded in favor of larger caliber Springfields or Enfields with readily available ammunition. The stock has been cut down as the cheek piece is wrong for a half stock rifle. You don't show a pic of the lock but I'd just about bet it was originally a flintlock converted to percussion. Possibly a Leman trade rifle.

skullcrusher 08-06-2009 10:23 PM

Therein you have possibly the best voice on the BP guns on this site. The other, imo, is RL. But, if Hawg says something about your BP weapon, you can just about take it to the bank.

How's about a pic of the hammer side and the barrel markings just to confirm the suspicions.

Great chime in, Hawg. :D When are you gonna become a supporting member?

skullcrusher

Hawg 08-06-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 140540)
Therein you have possibly the best voice on the BP guns on this site. The other, imo, is RL. But, if Hawg says something about your BP weapon, you can just about take it to the bank.

How's about a pic of the hammer side and the barrel markings just to confirm the suspicions.

Great chime in, Hawg. :D When are you gonna become a supporting member?

skullcrusher

Skullcrusher, don't give me that much credit. I'm not the know all, end all of bp weapons. :D I imagine RL would agree with me for once. He and I don't always see eye to eye. Supporting member? I dunno. Not really much traffic in the areas that interest me.