Can anyone help me ID this CS Used Musket ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Can anyone help me ID this CS Used Musket ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone help me ID this CS Used Musket ?

I am attempting to ID the type of musket this is for a local museum display. It was carried by William Byrn of the 2nd Mississippi Inf CSA. It is in rough condition after being in a old building for the last 100 or so years. I was told by a local collector of CW that it is a flintlock conversion musket. I have it taken apart now so it can be cleaned somewhat and have found some markings that might help id it to a person who knows antique firearms. On the underside of the barrel near the breechplug it has stamped into the barrel a "XI-" or thats what it looks like to me. Also the side plate has something on it but I cannot make it out it kinda looks like a "Sb and maybe something else" THE hammer has a 55 stamped into the rear of it and I can make out a letter B on the backupper part of the sideplate. There is a letter L stamped into the wood part of the stock where the barrel covers it. The one surviving barrel band has a letter "D " on it with " * " The barrel is 43" from the end of the breechplug to the end of the barrel or minus the breechplug it is a little less than 40 1/4" . It still has the bayonet lug on the barrel so the barrel has not been cut off just the forewood under it. I have a lot of info on the man who carried it he was a Roll of Honor member of the 2ND Miss
He carved his name into one side of the stock of the gun and there is a MS and a large l on the other He was in company B and L . I know the gun as far as gun wise would have little value but as a Id'ed CSA carried weapon it has historical value . I can see where he cut the forewood off under the barrel and that will have to be replaced as well as some other small parts but until we can ID the stype of weapon we are at a standstill. Thank you for any help with this piece . Bob

bb5.jpg   bb6.jpg   bb8.jpg   bb1.jpg   bb4.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Default some more pics of Musket

Here's a couple of other pics of the lockplate. We can't make out the mark on the front it looks like a "Sb and something" but we may be wrong. Again thanks in advance for any help you can give us on this artifact. Bob

bb2.jpg   bb3.jpg  

Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Wish I could help, but I just don't know.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The lock was converted from flint and it looks like it had a drum setup. I haven't pinned it down yet. It looks like an 1816 except the trigger guard is wrong.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php