Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Bullet hard to load into Barrel ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/bullet-hard-load-into-barrel-19957/)

Glock17TJ 11-10-2009 09:06 PM

Bullet hard to load into Barrel ???

I have a Thompson Encore 209x50 Muzzle Loader. I got the barrel from a guy who had it cut down from the 28 inches to 22in...I have a really hard time loading a bullet into the barrel. I have used the sabot style bullets, Hornady, Thompson and the Powerbelt kinds. The 1st bullet always starts kind of easy but I have to used a bullet starter to get it into the barrle. I then used the ramrod to push it home. Ok..next shot..it is a pain in the butt to get it down the barrle or the 1st 3-4inches..If I shoot more than 5 times it is almost imposssible to get the bullet to start. I take it home clean it and it works good for a few shots then I am back to square one again. I have talk to some guys I work with and they do not have any probelms. Ok..I guess I need to clean it more between shots while sighting it in..

Since the barrle was cut down will that effect the ability of the bullet to start ?? Like I said the first 3-4 inches are a pain then it is ok..thanks for the help guys...

skullcrusher 11-10-2009 09:44 PM

The reason the bullets get harder the more you shoot is because of powder reisidue. Try running a patch after each shot.

Do you have any trouble with an unaltered barrel?

Glock17TJ 11-10-2009 09:53 PM

when the barrel is clean the bullet goes in ok..it still requires a little bit of pushing...not as bad as after 3 shots or so...I will try to clean it after every shot and see how it goes..I just hope the guy i got the barrel from did not mess up the rifling when he cut the barrel down...

skullcrusher 11-10-2009 11:24 PM

I don't know why you'd want a shorter barrel, but hey whatever. Some deformation can happen depending on how it was cut. Have you checked for burrs? What does the bore look like?

alsaqr 11-10-2009 11:55 PM

When Pyrodex or 777 is used the powder residue builds up very quickly and the gun gets progressively harder to load. It is usually necessary to swab the barrel with a wet patch after the first two rounds are fired. Followup the wet patch with two dry patches.

Most TC guns have tight bores. When the guy had the barrel cut off he probably did not recut the QLA which is an unrifled section about 1" long at the muzzle.

Which sabot/bullet combination are you using? Which powder are you using? My Encore loads very hard with the 250 SST/Shockwave in the black or red sabot. It loads much easer when the Hornady Low Drag sabots.

Glock17TJ 11-11-2009 05:05 PM

Alsaqr....I have been using TC Shockwave 250gr with 2 pyrodex pellets. Shot a 1.5 in group at 50 yards..then the bullets got really had to load and I did not get to finish sighting it in..I cleaned the barrel, shoots great for 2-3 rounds then gets hard again. I got the barrel from a guy and he had the barrel cut down. I don't know if he did it or had someone do it for him. I don't think he had the muzzle part of the rifling cut or smoothed out..I tried some Hornady SST 250 with the red sabot..they are jut about impossible to start. The only ones I can get to start are the TC Shockwave and Powerbelts bullets. Then you got to just about stand on the bullet starter to get the bullet in the barrel..you got to push really hard to get it to start. I will get a chance to shoot some more this weekend I will shoot one then clean it and see how it goes.....This barrel has been a pain from day one !! When the guy removed the rear sight and messed up the sights he retapped the hole and drilled all the way through to the chamber..I plugged it and had it tig welded, you can barely tell there was even a hole there..Now the bullet issue is getting me...I may just have to buy a new barrle...or have a gunsmith redo the barrel if he can..Thanks for all the help...!!!!

RL357Mag 11-12-2009 02:04 AM

Try using T/C Natural Lube 1000 (Bore Butter). Any other petroleum based lube will actrually attract carbon residue and make it hard to load after only a shot or two. The Bore Butter, when used exclusively, will eventually "condition" the bore and be absorbed into the microscopic pores of the metal. After conditioning the bore DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED CLEANERS OR LUBES. When you clean the gun use only hot soapy water followed by a rinse of boiling water to remove the soap. The heat of the boiling water will actually dry the bore. Then run a patch saturated with Bore Butter down the barrel. The residual heat from the boiling water will allow the Bore Butter to melt and flow into the pores. Bore Butter makes an excellent lubrication for long term storage as well. Repeated use will dramatically reduce the need for between-shot cleanings.

Hawg 11-14-2009 06:13 PM

What RL said.

Glock17TJ 11-28-2009 02:48 AM

Thanks for all the info...I did find out the powerbelt bullets load a little better. I used the Powerbelt 245gr and it shoots about 1in groups at 50yards. I did not have time to zero in the rifle at 100yds. The areas I hunt I really want get a shots at over 50 yards so I just left it alone. I used the TC Shockwave and Hornady 250gr..they all shoot about an inch at 50 yards...I will try the bore butter next time I go out and shoot and make sure I clean it up really good. Last time I shot 4-5 times and then went home and cleaned the gun really good. I have to take the Breach plug out everytime I clean the gun because it always looks really nasty. So I bought me an extra breach plug so now I can just swap them out and put the dirty one in a bowl and let it soak for a little while and come back and clean it...Thanks again for all your help and info..