Buddy of mine wants to build a cannon - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Buddy of mine wants to build a cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've been thinking about that. I've got a bunch of oxygen and acetylene bottles I can't do anything with.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9141 Times on 3948 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Oxygen, yes- acetylene, NO.

Oxy tanks are high pressure. Acetylene tanks are low pressure and they are not hollow- they are filled with a porous material soaked in liquid acetone.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #23

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
acetylene, NO.

they are filled with a porous material soaked in liquid acetone.

I've used that stuff for many, many years and I never knew that. I do want to build a canon but not that big. Old bowling balls would be too hard to find around here.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #24

Ok guy's and gals I'm new here most of what has been said is true to fact... I build cannon and mortars all the time. I start with 4140 sch 180 SEAM-LESS TUBING. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF PIPE!!! Tubing ONLY. I spent over a year researching the ways and materials to do this safely. The sch 180 tubing is rated at 7200 PSI working pressure, Not burst pressure. As to the welding of the chamber plug, Certed high pressure welder REQUIRED! Remember the first time you fire this it is a BOMB! NOT a cannon. Most of what I build is 1.75"(golf ball or 1lb lead ball), 2.75"(pop can, tennis ball, 4lb lead ball), 3"(baseball, 5lb lead ball). The national black powder cannon association recommends only using 1F powder and max load of 2oz per inch of bore dia. The old armorers proofed the barrels with 1 load = to 4x max powder charge and 2x ball weight. For the pop can size the proof load equates to (5.5oz of 1f=max load) x 4= 22oz 1F and 8lb ball weight (2x the ball weight). After doing the math and conversions, I use 8oz of FFFF and a pop can filled with 11lb's of lead ruffly. You also have to understand I spent 6 yrs in the US Army as a Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech, If you don't know what that is(lol) watch the "Hurt Locker", I'm the DA in the Pillsbury suit with no gloves... It REALLY WAS A LOT OF FUN AT THE TIME! Not now... When I do the proof shot, the barrel is contained in ravine bagged heavy with sand bags and about 3 foot of fuse. So far 30 built - 0 fails. Barrels are turned and weld checked before and after. This is not a project to start without a lot of thought and prep. To give you an example of one of my toy's look below. This is a 2.75" mortar I build and use all the time. It will throw a pop can full of concrete about 1.5 miles at max elevation and powder charge. Be careful, BE SAFE. WHEN IN DOUBT, DON"T SHOOT IT!!! Rod

img_0094.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #25

Liked 112 Times on 71 Posts

NEVER compress a powder charge with a hammer or mallet! The charge can spontaneously explode, and it offers no advantage over firmly compressing the charge.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #26

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinkrod View Post
Ok guy's and gals I'm new here most of what has been said is true to fact... I build cannon and mortars all the time. I start with 4140 sch 180 SEAM-LESS TUBING. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF PIPE!!! Tubing ONLY. I spent over a year researching the ways and materials to do this safely. The sch 180 tubing is rated at 7200 PSI working pressure, Not burst pressure. As to the welding of the chamber plug, Certed high pressure welder REQUIRED! Remember the first time you fire this it is a BOMB! NOT a cannon. Most of what I build is 1.75"(golf ball or 1lb lead ball), 2.75"(pop can, tennis ball, 4lb lead ball), 3"(baseball, 5lb lead ball). The national black powder cannon association recommends only using 1F powder and max load of 2oz per inch of bore dia. The old armorers proofed the barrels with 1 load = to 4x max powder charge and 2x ball weight. For the pop can size the proof load equates to (5.5oz of 1f=max load) x 4= 22oz 1F and 8lb ball weight (2x the ball weight). After doing the math and conversions, I use 8oz of FFFF and a pop can filled with 11lb's of lead ruffly. You also have to understand I spent 6 yrs in the US Army as a Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech, If you don't know what that is(lol) watch the "Hurt Locker", I'm the DA in the Pillsbury suit with no gloves... It REALLY WAS A LOT OF FUN AT THE TIME! Not now... When I do the proof shot, the barrel is contained in ravine bagged heavy with sand bags and about 3 foot of fuse. So far 30 built - 0 fails. Barrels are turned and weld checked before and after. This is not a project to start without a lot of thought and prep. To give you an example of one of my toy's look below. This is a 2.75" mortar I build and use all the time. It will throw a pop can full of concrete about 1.5 miles at max elevation and powder charge. Be careful, BE SAFE. WHEN IN DOUBT, DON"T SHOOT IT!!! Rod
Freakin' awesome cannon!!

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #27

Liked 2493 Times on 1620 Posts

Are those hollowpoint pop cans?

A freaking mile and a half? Holy cola bullets, Batman! That looks like a lot of fun. It would be a good way to spend veterans day, fourth of July, new years, etc.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo

Freakin' awesome cannon!!
Well your close, but no cigar! Lol it is my rendishin of a cw cohorn mortar. Barrel weighs 67 lb's by it's self. And yes it does roar when fired!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs
NEVER compress a powder charge with a hammer or mallet! The charge can spontaneously explode, and it offers no advantage over firmly compressing the charge.
Along with what Bill says, your ramrod should be hardwood and slick rod on top, no nobs by hand. NEVER!!!! Place any part of you over the muzzle while loading!!!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #30

Here is a pic of a shot of a 4lb lead ball from 50 yrds out, shot horz instead of mortar style. Mortar flipped back about 30 Ft.

image-2515282974.jpg

2nd shot is the one in the center