Are black powder rifles and pistols fun to shoot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Are black powder rifles and pistols fun to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Are black powder rifles and pistols fun to shoot?

Are black powder rifles and pistols fun to shoot?
I have never had the pleasure of firing one.

Also, how much does a decent one cost? Do the newer reproductions shoot accurately? Can you get ammo for them (the little paper cylinders with the pre-measured amount of charge and the bullet).

Last edited by user4; 07-09-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

I guess I am a cheap date- I enjoy just about anything involving guns, including my charcoal burners.

Every hunter seems to be determined to have a bolt action breech capping in line 209 primer rifle- as a result, there are some bargains on traditional cap lock rifles, like the Thompson/ Centers. Have seen some nice ones for $200 or less.

Accuracy? As good as you are. Due to lower velocity, the trajectory is a prounced curve (think rainbow) so at long range, accracy depends on range estimating ability.

You can buy Pyrodex pellets- I use JOB double wider cigarette rolling papers to make my own combustible cartridges with REAL black powder- and cast my own 50 cal maxi balls.

Nice thing about muzzle loaders? As far as the Feds are concerned, they are NOT firearms. No 4473, no FFL, and the mailman can bring it to your door.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I use an inline rifle for hunting during muzzleloader season. I have a couple of the reproduction cap and ball revolvers. While the modern inline rifle is extremely accurate the revolvers are fairly accurate with the balls. I enjoy shooting them. Powder, caps, primers and ammo is easy to find at most sporting goods stores. I have not seen the paper cartridges. C3 seems to have the answer for that.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 AM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

I had a .50 caliber Hawkins that I sold last year. Very accurate rifle even w/ primitive sights. I liked shooting patched round ball. I still have an 1858 New Army repro that is a blast to shoot.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I guess I am a cheap date- I enjoy just about anything involving guns, including my charcoal burners.

Every hunter seems to be determined to have a bolt action breech capping in line 209 primer rifle- as a result, there are some bargains on traditional cap lock rifles, like the Thompson/ Centers. Have seen some nice ones for $200 or less.

Accuracy? As good as you are. Due to lower velocity, the trajectory is a prounced curve (think rainbow) so at long range, accracy depends on range estimating ability.

You can buy Pyrodex pellets- I use JOB double wider cigarette rolling papers to make my own combustible cartridges with REAL black powder- and cast my own 50 cal maxi balls.

Nice thing about muzzle loaders? As far as the Feds are concerned, they are NOT firearms. No 4473, no FFL, and the mailman can bring it to your door.
Out of curiosity, how do you make your balls?
I know how the British made them around the American Revolution (dropping metal off of a tower so that it makes a perfect ball and then letting it land into a pool of water so that it stays that way), but rather than that I am greener than a weed.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #6

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Melt & pour. Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Shooting Black Powder is the most fun kind of shooting that I do.

Can it be expensive? - sure as can any venture.

You can find inexpensive ways to get started. My introduction to BP was through a BP cap and ball revolver, then I moved to BP cartridges for both pistols and rifles (I was already a re-loader), then to a percussion rifle and ultimately to a flintlock rifle. My last BP acquisition is the civil war era (replica) paper cartridge Robinson Sharps carbine. Oh, and a single shot dueling pistol (percussion cap) along the way. Now I need a flintlock pistol.

I have to say though, and intending NO OFFENSE to anyone else here, but I do not understand the modern version of the muzzleloaders. I really enjoy the (reproduction versions of) original style BP rifles and pistols of the by-gone eras. There are some challenges, but they are a hoot to own and shoot.

TXnorton

Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been thinking about one for a year or two now but haven't purchased anything yet. I've shot a few and it was always fun, just a lot of cleaning afterwards.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Traditions Performance Firearms
Revolver for $150. Check out the closeouts in the "special offers" link at the upper right of the website. They had at least one rifle for about $200, if you are lookin to stretch your deer season a bit.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Re: Casting bullets- the "pour molten lead from a great height into water" technique is used for making shotgun shot. for lead balls- or the cylindrical bullets I make, you melt lead in a melting pot, scoop it up in a dipper, and pour into a bullet mold. A muzzle loader uses PURE, butter soft lead. I also cast bullets for .357 and 9mm, using wheelweights as my basic metal.

Not a difficult process, saves a buncha money for reloaders, quite safe as long as you follow the 3 rules- read the book first, follow the directions, and do not try to mooch my source of wheelweights (3 local tire shops swap me a bucket of weights for a 6 pack of Miller) Find a copy of the Cast Bullet Handbook.

PS- I scored 150 lbs of pure lead foil at a govt surplus auction a few years back- for 50 cents. Have enuff to feed my muzzleloaders until I am 99. Will have to get more then.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.