black powder pistol help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > black powder pistol help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default black powder pistol help

Hello all, i recently found this in grandfather's old stuff, cant really find any info on it and thought someone here might help me get some more info on this. It's stamped Japan 1923 on the barrel, believe it's a replica percussion pistol.

pistol-1.jpg   barrel-1.jpg   hammer-1.jpg  

Last edited by raider22; 08-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

It is very similar in appearance to the modern reproduction Kentucky pistol that was made by Conneticut Valley Arms. Some were in kit form, some were completed. They were 45 caliber, and shot a round patched ball with about 35-40 grains of balck powder, and a #11 cap. Surpisingly accurate.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #3

thanks, I also have his old puoch with that round ammo and some black powder with caps, the markings on barrel would mean it's a replica made in Japan? here's some pics of the ammo i have for it. They would be lead balls correct?

ammo.jpg  

Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Made in Japan, yes. Rather than replica (which sometimes means a non-shooting imitation of a firearm) I would prefer reproduction. 1923 is a serial number, not the date of manufacture. These were popular in the 1970s and 80s. Yes, the heavy round thing would be a lead bullet. These are placed in a greased cloth patch, and AFTER a measured charge of powder is poured down the barrel, the patched ball is pushed ALL the way down the barrel, then the nipple is capped, and you are ready to shoot. Foregoing is VERY condensed instructions on loading a ball and cap weapon- there are other important details to learn.

While this is for a rifle, your single shot pistol is basically a short rifle-
http://www.cva.com/pdfs/Side.pdf

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
tac

raider22 , Your gun might have made by the Miroku co. for Dixie gun works in the 1970s.
They also made a good Brown Bess. The Miroku co.is still in buesness doing work for
Browning and Winchewster. Hope this helps .
TAC.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #6

thanks for the help guys, so this is definitely from around 70's 80's? wonder if it's in good enough shape to shoot, I have a .40cal and a 30-06 but have never shot a black powder pistol and well not sure if i want to try and shoot this thing lol. What do these go for? Was thinking of trying to find somewhere locally to get it cleaned up and in better shape as i really dont know much about black powder guns. thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider22 View Post
thanks for the help guys, so this is definitely from around 70's 80's? wonder if it's in good enough shape to shoot, I have a .40cal and a 30-06 but have never shot a black powder pistol and well not sure if i want to try and shoot this thing lol. What do these go for? Was thinking of trying to find somewhere locally to get it cleaned up and in better shape as i really dont know much about black powder guns. thanks
Based on the pictures, it appears that your repro is safe to shoot. C3 gave you the basic information on how to load your pistol. Pretty much a no brainer to operate as long as you remember to use the recommended powders.. Most often a rule of thumb for BP is about 1.5 times the caliber for a powder load using TRUE Black Powder. Pyrodex is the commercial substitute.

Cleaning is basic also.. There should be a metal sliver located mid-line that slides across from one side of the stock to the other (can't really tell in your picure and yours might be held in differently). It holds the barrel to the stock. The barrel (once removed) can be cleaned using hot soapy water. Just dry good when done. Always keep a thin coating of oil on it to preserve the finish.

Black Powder is awesome to shoot.. Very dramatic with all the smoke and noise.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

On THAT pistol, I think you remove the ramrod, and you will find a screw that holds the brass tip to the barrel and the stocks. Remove the screw, cock the hammer, and the barrel should pivot up out of the wood. When cleaning, use a nipple wrench to unscrew nipple, stick it muzzle up in a container of hot water, put a shot of Dawn dish detergent on your bore brush, and scrub. This will pump water in and out thru the bolster (where you removed the nipple)

Use ONLY black powder, or a BP substitute, such as pyrodex. NEVER fire it unless the bullet is all the way down the barrel. Sequence is 1. powder 2. patch 3. ball 4. cap IN THAT ORDER.

Oh, one last thing- shoot that on an indoor range, and you will be soundly thrashed by the other shooters- up to the point that they are overcome by the smoke.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
On THAT pistol, I think you remove the ramrod, and you will find a screw that holds the brass tip to the barrel and the stocks. Remove the screw, cock the hammer, and the barrel should pivot up out of the wood. When cleaning, use a nipple wrench to unscrew nipple, stick it muzzle up in a container of hot water, put a shot of Dawn dish detergent on your bore brush, and scrub. This will pump water in and out thru the bolster (where you removed the nipple)

Use ONLY black powder, or a BP substitute, such as pyrodex. NEVER fire it unless the bullet is all the way down the barrel. Sequence is 1. powder 2. patch 3. ball 4. cap IN THAT ORDER.

Oh, one last thing- shoot that on an indoor range, and you will be soundly thrashed by the other shooters- up to the point that they are overcome by the smoke.

^
(What he said)

True black powder may be hard to find since it's regulated differently than commercial brand smokless powders (at least in my area) but it would behoove you to try and get some. Pyrodex closely simulates BP but you won't get as much smoke..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"