black powder pistol - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > black powder pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

"Fast reload" in those is reaching for your SECOND revolver!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #22

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

How to properly use that cap & ball revolver [Archive] - Benelli USA Forums

http://www.dubbs.info/bbs/showthread.php?tid=40

Cap N Ball Basics

Here are some sites I found helpful, I just got into about a year ago, it is a blast, Also there are some very good informative videos on youtube about this as well.

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #23

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Love the Remingtons! Wore out 2 of those and one Colt. If I were to get another it would be a Remington Army with 2 spare cylinders. My load for the three I had was: 1 dram FFF (thats what my pistol flask throws) .451 pure lead round ball rammed to shave a ring and early on it was topped with mutton tallow until Bore Butter came out. I also used a product called "pistol patch" I got from Dixie Gun works that seemed to keep the fouling in the barrel soft. I think it was a lot like Bore Butter. They are fun.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #24

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedtrucks4me View Post
so with each reload i would have to measure the powder and pour it in, pushin the lubed cloth in and then jam in the ball. I'm sure they make fast reloads for a black powder pistol to where you don't spend 10 minutes reloading each cylinder
The equivalent to a blackpowder speedloader is to carry spare loaded cylinders which you can swap out.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #25

I shoot a black powder pistol all the time in matches and the best thing i have been taught is put it on a loading stand and measure out your powder put that in first then put in a filler like Farina, Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat then put in your ball then on top of each ball put crisco because this will keep the gun from firing more than one at a time. last but not least put on the caps and fire away. If you have never shot one of these before you might want to be with someone that has knowledge about them when you first shoot it because depending on the type you have they are very testy. Good luck and Have fun. Im sure you will enjoy it.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #26

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If you use a filler you don't need over ball lube to prevent chainfires. Crisco and bore butter both get very runny in summer heat. I generally used lubed wads lubed with my own mix of beeswax and Crisco. Its far less messy than over ball lube.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #27

I have to disagree. I believe you should always use a lube. I have never had a problem with the crisco being runny. It is messy and at some of the matches I have seen some of the men usin some kind of brake fluid or something but I just stick with what works best for me and this has been the best. When you shoot you will find something that you like and stick with it. People use all kinds of stuff this is just what works for me.

Last edited by sassyk; 09-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #28

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It really depends on the temp. In the summer it's hard to beat mutton tallow for any kind of black powder bullet lube. In the cold months, bore butter or crisco will do, but I have had more fouling issues with crisco. If you keep the mutton tallow in your pocket, it works in the cold too. I also use it instead of gun oil to prevent rust on the metal parts... sort of my go to goo for all that stuff. Everyone has their favorite. I used to use "moose milk" for a patch lube before the mutton tallow, it worked good but was just one more thing to mess with.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #29

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyk View Post
I have to disagree. I believe you should always use a lube. I have never had a problem with the crisco being runny. It is messy and at some of the matches I have seen some of the men usin some kind of brake fluid or something but I just stick with what works best for me and this has been the best. When you shoot you will find something that you like and stick with it. People use all kinds of stuff this is just what works for me.
Anything over 90 degrees and Crisco and Bore Butter run like water. Wads are still best. I didn't mean you didn't need lube, I meant you didn't need overball lube with a filler to prevent chainfires. many shooters that use fillers and over ball lube just lube every other chamber and a little dab will do ya, no need to fill the void. All you need is a thin ring around the edge.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Anything over 90 degrees and Crisco and Bore Butter run like water. Wads are still best. I didn't mean you didn't need lube, I meant you didn't need overball lube with a filler to prevent chainfires. many shooters that use fillers and over ball lube just lube every other chamber and a little dab will do ya, no need to fill the void. All you need is a thin ring around the edge.
ok I see what your saying. I thought you meant no lube at all. I use both as an extra precaution. The range we go to is shaded so you really dont have to worry about the lube melting because it doesnt get that hot. But it is messy.