black powder pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > black powder pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Something else to remember: NEVER NEVER NEVER use smokless powder in place of black powder or Pyrodex. I saw a .50 in-line with a blown barrel from some yahoo using smokless powder. He used a black powder charge also .. Blew the barrel in half length wise. You might be able to google search for the pics.

Not for the sqeemish..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 09-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #12

I have a 1858 remington pistol that uses number 10 caps which are hard to find. Lee makes a conocial bullet mold with a band around it that has to be shaved when seating the bullet into the cylinder. Always shave your round balls when seating them. Purchase a round ball that is about 4 hundreds to large so you can shave it when seating the bullet. Always reduce your recommended powder charge if you have a brass frame pistol. I have to clean the cylinder pin after 18 rounds because it wont cock. That means a q-tip is necessary.

patret

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedtrucks4me View Post
so with each reload i would have to measure the powder and pour it in, pushin the lubed cloth in and then jam in the ball. I'm sure they make fast reloads for a black powder pistol to where you don't spend 10 minutes reloading each cylinder
Yup, and then you have to put a precusion cap on each nipple. These are not "fill the air with lead revolvers" it's the enjoyment of the task.
And then you get to clean the thing which is about a 30 min. adventure which MUST be done directly after shooting or within a short time you have rusted junk.
The best part is that black powder shooting can become very addictive as it is great fun.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #14

Default Black Powder Pistol

ARGH! Here be as fine as any pistol as made yon...the Lyman Plains Pistol.54. Me thinks it'll knock a lubber down, before me dispatchin' hisself with me big knife...

plains-pistol.54-two.jpg  

MAD RIVER FRANK, NRA Patron Life; SASS Life; NAHC Life;

Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #15

[QUOTE=TXnorton;273521]Go buy and read the Lyman's Black Powder Handbook.

Yes do get the handbook. As for lubing the balls after loading, the book will explain everything but the grease which may be crisco will help lube the ball as it goes through the barrell but also prevents a flashover which could fire multiple cylinders. One good thing about the black powder revolvers is that due to the length of the cylinder you cannot possible load too much black powder as to be dangerous. The ball won't go deep enough to clear the barrell if you do fully load the cyl. You will never need that much powder for good shooting but some guys try to load as much as possible. I heard one guy and every time he fired it sounded like a grenade going off. Not needed and will not give you the most accurate shots either. I would be sure to get one with good adjustable sites for target shooting. Lots of fun too.
Do read the handbook "several times" for safety and you will have years of great fun shooting your BP pistol.

JOIN THE NRA TODAY
BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER SINCE MID 70'S
VET US NAVY, CVA-66, USS AMERICA 65-68 OE DIV

Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #16

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocritter View Post
And then you get to clean the thing which is about a 30 min. adventure which MUST be done directly after shooting or within a short time you have rusted junk.
From one who's been shooting bp for 42 years I have to disagree with both those statements. Cleaning a bp revolver is not a 30 minute chore unless you're using smokeless lubes or any petroleum based lubes in the bore or chambers. It is not necessary to do a complete teardown after each shooting session. I only tear mine down once a year or so. I sometimes let mine go two or three days before cleaning and I use Pyrodex which has a worse reputation for causing rust and corrosion than real bp does. I have also gone as long as nine days without cleaning one with no signs of rust or corrosion.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #17

I have also gone as long as nine days without cleaning one with no signs of rust or corrosion.[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with that as I would never leave my BP weapons even overnight with cleaning. Once I did leave my 58 cal overnight and normal cleaning next day wouldn't remove the "stain" from the chamber. I did use x fine valve compound on a swab to remove this stain after repeated strokes with the swab. No I'd never leave any of my weapons without cleaning immediately after a day of shooting. It's up to each of us as to how we want to keep/preserve our expensive weapons. I paid too much for mine to take a chance with possible damage, however slight, it may be, as this slight, hard to see damage will collect over time and might become more than we can correct with delayed cleaning.

Just my 2cents worth

JOIN THE NRA TODAY
BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER SINCE MID 70'S
VET US NAVY, CVA-66, USS AMERICA 65-68 OE DIV

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #18

They are true fun and cure one's flinch in no time.
They are real pieces of art.
And they are accurate.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #19

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No rust.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My load is 35 grains of fffg black powder ,cornmeal as a filler, .454 lead ball and crisco spread on top of the ball to prevent chain fires. I have used a chronograph with this load and averaged about 925fps. with great accuracy.