Black powder derringer questions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Black powder derringer questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 492 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Black powder derringer questions

hey all, i'm new to black powder & i have a CMC black powder derringer that used to be my dad's. I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with it, it's a brass framed double barrelled, double hammered kit gun that i appears to be a .36 cal

my question i guess is, what type of caps or primers do i use, & how many grains of powder do i load it with?

i don't plan to shoot it much & am definatly gonna go on the low side with the powder charges. since the local gun shops don't seem to carry .36 balls, when i do shoot it i might just for sh*ts & giggles load a few bb's & use it as a weak poor mans shotgun.

or should i just make it a wall hanger?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #2

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Wall hanger or paperweight. If you just have to shoot it it's a smooth bore and takes .350 balls. About 12 grains of powder and #10 caps. It might penetrate a cardboard refrigerator box from 10 feet. If you can hit it.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 492 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 12

if & when i do shoot it, it will more or less be a "wow look at the smoke, ok let's put it away" kinda thing, make it go bang once or twice & call it a day. so it is good that i now know it's limitations & how to go about safely.

but it will more than likely serve the same purpose it has for the last 30+ years.....a fancy lookin shiny paperweight.

thanks for the reply

Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12647 Times on 5419 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

IF you DO shoot it, clean up involves Dawn dish detergent, HOT water- or it won't be shiny.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #5

how many grains of black powder do I use for 36 cal cmc derringer?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12647 Times on 5419 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Welcome to the forum! Drop by the intro thread and say hello when you get a chance.

The old general rule of thumb- half the caliber in grains of BLACK powder for a pistol. 12-16 grains of fffG is adequate for a .36- be SURE that the ball is snugly against the powder charge with no air space. NEVER use smokeless powder. You CAN use a black powder substitute such as Pyrodex- charge then is by volume, not the actual weight.