Black Powder Bullets
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Black Powder Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Black Powder Bullets

Is a black powder pistol capable of shooting jacketed rounds?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't believe that it would work since the bullet would not expand to seal up the barrel/chamber when you shot it.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
I don't believe that it would work since the bullet would not expand to seal up the barrel/chamber when you shot it.
If you used over the powder wad, it would probably work like shooting flat based maxie balls in a riflel. always use an over powder wad. Not necessary with hollow based maxie /miniball

Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 173

and grease I'd be really worried about chain fires with a jacketed bullet that can't be "mashed" into the cylinder to seal it up well from flash from previous rounds igniting the powder under a bullet while out of line with the bore. Also the increased effort of engraving the jacketed bullet in the rifling may not bode well for weakly framed BP guns especially the colt clones with no top strap. I would strongly suggest sticking to nice soft pure lead bullets of a design made for BP revolvers. And even then always grease em well.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 691 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I shoot black powder revolvers all the time. I think it would be a bad idea to try it. No way you'd get any kind of accuracy and you'd lose too much pressure from escaping gases around the bullet.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10718 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

The rifling of most black powder firearms is VERY shallow- made for a slow moving SOFT lead bullet. A jacketed bullet will not upset to engage the rifling, and with a hard bullet, shallow rifling, will skip over the rifling. If you are using a sabot to fire a smaller diameter jacketed bullet, then yes, that will work. Sorta.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Liked 143 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Revolver or cap and ball or flinter? I wouldn't bother even giving it a try in a revolver, but if you were to try a sabot in something like a .50 cal Kentucky pistol with a 1-48 rate of twist or faster, why not. For me... I'll stick with lead.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

as JFR stated, always use plenty of grease even with soft lead.If you try, don't use long bullets and use a wad over the powder. I'd not be tempted to do so in a revolver but with a single shot give it a try. as someone just said, may not be real accurate...I believe Dixie sells a long bullet for revolvers but think they are lead. Don't have my Dixie book available but did look at some .36 bullet once, If you try just load one chamber while trying. Don't believe you'll be satisfied.Good Luck.
Gary