barrel to purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > barrel to purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default barrel to purchase

If I was going to create my own black powder gun what would be the safest barrel specifications to look for in order to decrease the likelihood of accidents involving that aspect of the firearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Barrel Specs

You are probably going to find the best deal and "safest" barrels by going to a vender such as "Track of the Wolf" or "Dixie Gun Works". They are plenty of others out there not pitching for anyone. They can sell you the stock and custom barrels. Green Mountain Barrels are used on a lot of custom built muzzle loaders. Any quality barrel built by a reputable mfg will be safe within industry standards. If you still have questions or are unsure about what you might have, go to a competent gunsmith you trust, and get their input.

Last edited by PRM; 10-25-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

Roy,

set your mind ar ease, all modern barrels can be filled to the top, double balled, and fired. There are pics over at Dixie to prove it.

Not suggested you do so.

WHen asking about barrels, there are so many types. Per firearm style.

Long, short, octigon, round, swamped, and many more.

You need to know which type of rifle you are going to build.

The best parts can be found at Jim Chambers flintlock.com
or Muzzleloader supply. com

Chambers makes the best all around kits. The gals at MLS can muster up a better section of locks, stocks, and barrel.