Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Ball stuck in barrel....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Ball stuck in barrel....

A friend of mine got an inexpensive flinter for her daughter, and the daughter short charged it, and stuck the ball half way up the barrel. They used a cheap ball puller, and poked a hole thru the middle of the ball, stripped it out and did not move the ball.

How would you get that ball out without pulling the breechplug? Will a grease zerk fit the touch hole liner threads? I suggested plugging the hole in the ball with a larger brass screw and then pumping it out with grease.......

Need some ideas here.. Single, very independent mom with teen daughter
that shoots..

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

eldarbeast Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Bigger puller? Don't they make one that looks like a corkscrew?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

One that looks like a corkscrew is a Worm- used to retrieve patches, not balls. A zerk fitting MAY thread into flash hole liner- but if they have gone all the way thru the ball, grease will squirt out.

They can try about 2-3 DROPS of JB weld on the ball puller- no more- try to epoxy the ball to the puller. Let set a couple of days VERTICALLY for epoxy to set REALLY good, then heat the area of the ball with a hair dryer IF YOU ARE SURE THERE IS NO UNBURNED CHARGE IN THERE,

No, the caps were not accidental.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

TnRebel Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #4

They tore the center out of the ball with whatever it was that they had. Now I'm wondering if they can plug that hole with a larger brass screw and then push it out with a grease gun........

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #5

They have flushed all the powder out of the barrel with water so far. I will phone her and tell her to JB a sacrificial puller in there. That would probably work.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If it was mine, I would use a brass rod and mallet to pound the ball back down. This should plug the hole in the ball if it did indeed go all the way through the ball. Then I would take out the hole liner if it has one and drizzle as much primer powder in there as I could, reinstall the plug, prime and fire. If water was used to rinse out the barrel it could complicate things if you can't get the barrel completely dry first.
I have used this process to remove balls that were loaded without a powder charge. If it does not work the first time, just repeat and try to get more powder in. You may be able to get by using a large hardwood dowel, but a 3/8 inch dia. brass rod works the best (also makes a great unbreakable ram rod).

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Use a screw type ball puller not a patch worm. Just screw the ball puller in to the hole push the ball down to the powder chamber. Use a CO2 Large size ejector with a flash hole attachment. The ejector will push the rod and ball out. Cabelas has the Ball Ejectors.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Use a screw type ball puller not a patch worm. Just screw the ball puller in to the hole push the ball down to the powder chamber. Use a CO2 Large size ejector with a flash hole attachment. The ejector will push the rod and ball out. Cabelas has the Ball Ejectors.
It's a ball puller, not a pusher. Drizzle some gun oil down the barrel (helps to lubricate and remove the chance of accidental discharge if there is powder in there) and let it sit overnight. Then use the ball puller (not worm) as stated to pull the ball out.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

WTH don't you know what a CO2 Ball Ejector is? The CO2 Ejector is the most effective and safest way to remove a stuck ball. The Ejector will blow out powder patch or cleaning rod.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
WTH don't you know what a CO2 Ball Ejector is? The CO2 Ejector is the most effective and safest way to remove a stuck ball. The Ejector will blow out powder patch or cleaning rod.
I know exactly what it is...a high tech tool for people who can't pull a ball the way it has been done for hundreds of years. It may be nice to have but is not necessary.
Rolleyes

I don't need No stinking signature.