Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Ball stuck in barrel.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/ball-stuck-barrel-82095/)

W. C. Quantrill 01-22-2013 03:03 AM

Ball stuck in barrel....

A friend of mine got an inexpensive flinter for her daughter, and the daughter short charged it, and stuck the ball half way up the barrel. They used a cheap ball puller, and poked a hole thru the middle of the ball, stripped it out and did not move the ball.

How would you get that ball out without pulling the breechplug? Will a grease zerk fit the touch hole liner threads? I suggested plugging the hole in the ball with a larger brass screw and then pumping it out with grease.......

Need some ideas here.. Single, very independent mom with teen daughter
that shoots..

trip286 01-22-2013 03:17 AM

Bigger puller? Don't they make one that looks like a corkscrew?

c3shooter 01-22-2013 03:34 AM

One that looks like a corkscrew is a Worm- used to retrieve patches, not balls. A zerk fitting MAY thread into flash hole liner- but if they have gone all the way thru the ball, grease will squirt out.

They can try about 2-3 DROPS of JB weld on the ball puller- no more- try to epoxy the ball to the puller. Let set a couple of days VERTICALLY for epoxy to set REALLY good, then heat the area of the ball with a hair dryer IF YOU ARE SURE THERE IS NO UNBURNED CHARGE IN THERE,

No, the caps were not accidental.

W. C. Quantrill 01-22-2013 03:53 AM

They tore the center out of the ball with whatever it was that they had. Now I'm wondering if they can plug that hole with a larger brass screw and then push it out with a grease gun........

W. C. Quantrill 01-22-2013 03:55 AM

They have flushed all the powder out of the barrel with water so far. I will phone her and tell her to JB a sacrificial puller in there. That would probably work.

thdrduck 01-22-2013 12:37 PM

If it was mine, I would use a brass rod and mallet to pound the ball back down. This should plug the hole in the ball if it did indeed go all the way through the ball. Then I would take out the hole liner if it has one and drizzle as much primer powder in there as I could, reinstall the plug, prime and fire. If water was used to rinse out the barrel it could complicate things if you can't get the barrel completely dry first.
I have used this process to remove balls that were loaded without a powder charge. If it does not work the first time, just repeat and try to get more powder in. You may be able to get by using a large hardwood dowel, but a 3/8 inch dia. brass rod works the best (also makes a great unbreakable ram rod).

nitestalker 01-22-2013 12:45 PM

Use a screw type ball puller not a patch worm. Just screw the ball puller in to the hole push the ball down to the powder chamber. Use a CO2 Large size ejector with a flash hole attachment. The ejector will push the rod and ball out. Cabelas has the Ball Ejectors.

mountainman13 01-22-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1105023)
Use a screw type ball puller not a patch worm. Just screw the ball puller in to the hole push the ball down to the powder chamber. Use a CO2 Large size ejector with a flash hole attachment. The ejector will push the rod and ball out. Cabelas has the Ball Ejectors.

It's a ball puller, not a pusher. Drizzle some gun oil down the barrel (helps to lubricate and remove the chance of accidental discharge if there is powder in there) and let it sit overnight. Then use the ball puller (not worm) as stated to pull the ball out.

nitestalker 01-22-2013 01:53 PM

WTH don't you know what a CO2 Ball Ejector is? The CO2 Ejector is the most effective and safest way to remove a stuck ball. The Ejector will blow out powder patch or cleaning rod.:rolleyes:

mountainman13 01-22-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1105088)
WTH don't you know what a CO2 Ball Ejector is? The CO2 Ejector is the most effective and safest way to remove a stuck ball. The Ejector will blow out powder patch or cleaning rod.:rolleyes:

I know exactly what it is...a high tech tool for people who can't pull a ball the way it has been done for hundreds of years. It may be nice to have but is not necessary.
Rolleyes