Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Anyone use FFFG in their shotguns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/anyone-use-fffg-their-shotguns-60128/)

Scratchammo 03-13-2012 04:36 AM

Anyone use FFFG in their shotguns?

As some of y'all might know, I have a .75 caliber smooth bore. The barrel is 24" long & I plan on firing buckshot through it. Is it safe to use FFFG for higher velocity? What size charge is recommended?

Scratchammo 03-14-2012 03:43 AM

C'mon y'all, anyone?

blackdragon 03-14-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 738706)
As some of y'all might know, I have a .75 caliber smooth bore. The barrel is 24" long & I plan on firing buckshot through it. Is it safe to use FFFG for higher velocity? What size charge is recommended?

no, the rule is FFG for anything over .50 caliber, shotguns, rifles and muskets. if you use FFFG, you'll blow the gun up, it burns too fast for the projectile to move out of the way before it overpressurizes the barrel.
it's commonly accepted that you use the same amount of powder as the caliber of the barrel, like .75 caliber is 75 grains of powder.

Scratchammo 03-14-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdragon (Post 739765)
no, the rule is FFG for anything over .50 caliber, shotguns, rifles and muskets. if you use FFFG, you'll blow the gun up, it burns too fast for the projectile to move out of the way before it overpressurizes the barrel.
it's commonly accepted that you use the same amount of powder as the caliber of the barrel, like .75 caliber is 75 grains of powder.

What about 50/50?

Durangokid 03-14-2012 12:33 PM

What BS? You will not blow your gun up using 3F. You will most likely get a better burn and not blow your patterns with 2F. I use 1F cannon grade in my Brown Bess. I use a .62 [20 ga.] for smooth gun matches. The 2f does much better than the 3f shooting shot.:)

mountainman13 03-14-2012 01:01 PM

You could definitely over charge with 3f. Everything he said is the standard. You could probably use 3f in rifles bigger than .50 but I wouldn't do it in a thin walled smoothebore. Besides bp isn't cheap ,why waste it? Start with the 2f at a charge equal to caliber and you should be able to back it off a bit and get a better pattern. Your shot should be roughly the same volume as your charge.

Durangokid 03-14-2012 01:23 PM

Where does this 3f super exposive BS come from. Many shooters use 3f in smooth gun matches. I have never seen or heard of a gun being blown up this way. There is a difference in 2f powder. KiK has a much higher pressure in 2f than does Goex. The way powder is compressed or OP wads shot weight all affect presssures. Modern 4140 gun steel is not goin to blow up. :rolleyes:

mountainman13 03-14-2012 01:39 PM

It's simple math. Bp is measured by volume not weight. Smaller grain means bigger charge for equal volume of larger grain. A shotshell full of 3f will have more powder in it that a shotshell full of 2f. The gun may not have a catastrophic failure but that doesn't make it smart. And as I previously stated you are just wasting powder.

mountainman13 03-14-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid
There is a difference in 2f powder. KiK has a much higher pressure in 2f than does Goex.

You just proved the point right there. Why add to the pressure increase by using the wrong powder?

Durangokid 03-14-2012 01:47 PM

No partner you completely missed the point.:rolleyes: