Anyone ever had a no fire when hunting w/bp
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Anyone ever had a no fire when hunting w/bp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone ever had a no fire when hunting w/bp

One rainy day we were out hunting deer during doe season,my friend with his 30/30 and myself with my in line 50.cal inline bp.A deer walked right in front of me and I had the perfect broadside shot,put the sights on it,pulled the trigger and the primer fired but not the load.Suprisingly enough the deer didnt bolt,only looked over my way but casually walked away into the brush.I loaded another primer,aimed at the side of a ditch and this time the load fired.So I reloaded,circled around the area that the deer went into and shot it as it jumped out of the brush.Scince then I put a small balloon on the end of the muzzle to keep the water out,still kills deer with no problems

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jake if the powder had gotten wet chances are the gun would of never fired that round or you would have a hang-fire. Often the hole on the nipple will get a little plugged causing a non fire. I alway carry a nipple pick in my possibles bag and clean the nipple while loading and reloading when hunting.

Once at the range I had to remove the nipple and put a little 4F in the hole, replace the nipple, and recap to clear a clog.

Good luck, shoot straight and stay safe. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #3

I had the same thing happen to me. Doe comes up off her bed, perfect 10 yard shot. Pop, no boom. By the time I got another cap on, she was in the next county. I fired into the ground and this time it worked. The make of the muzzle loader eludes me. It had an open "breach" area where the musket cap would go. Another deer was missed becase the musket cap had fell off. I gave this POS smoke pole away. I bought a T/C 209X50. Have had a few issues with the breach plug, but this one is one of my favorites.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The best way to ensure that don't happen is to fire a couple caps off before you load the rifle. Stick a patch barely and loosely into the muzzle and the cap should easily blow the patch out of the muzzle. That way you KNOW you don't have a clogged nipple. If it is clogged then you need a nipple pick.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

The same thing has happened to me until I started to use a nipple pick every time I loaded the gun. With side locks changing to a hotter nipple usually solves the problem. A nipple charger also helps quite a bit in damp weather. I have never had it happen with either of my in lines but as I prefer side locks they aren’t used that often. As stated before a couple of fouling shots before first loading the gun is a real good idea. It dries out the breach and clears out any residual oil in the weapon.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The only time my rifle fails to go off is when a deer is standing broadside at 5 - 7yards.
After the deer listens to me click at it a few times it'll shoot me the bird, call me some unprintable names, and then slowly walk away. all the while muttering more nasty $hit under its breath.
Immediately after the deer gets out of sight, however, it will go off with no delay and annihilate any stump, log, or embankment I choose to fire at.
I swear the POS had demons in it
Ahhh the joys of flintlock

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

That reminds me, I need to go shopping for a new flintlock

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #8

Not me (knock on wood) and I've been in some pretty lousy weather. Granted it wasn't technically with *BP* it was an inline 209 with pyrodex pellets, but the bolt is open and the breech plug is exposed to elements with the primer nipple hanging out there in the snow, sleet, rain, breath moisture, etc.

So far not even as much as a hang fire let alone a failure to fire (again, knock on wood)