Anybody recognize this BP pistol? brand? any info for the n00b?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Anybody recognize this BP pistol? brand? any info for the n00b?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default Anybody recognize this BP pistol? brand? any info for the n00b?

A member on another forum i visit has a BP pistol for sale. It looks close to the "kentucky" style i've been wanting. I had planned to buy a kit after Christmas & stain it to my own odd taste, but this one looks nice enough for a first foray into the BP arena to my undereducated eye. Any input at all could be helpful. It doesn't look exactly like any of the kits i've been considering. The trigger doesn't seem as "fancy" as most of the kits i've drooled over, but "fancy" isn't an attribute i really chase. The seller indicates that he has fired it a bit and that it gives all appearances of being in sound condition. I know i have some reading to do before i dare to "test drive" this pistol. I don't know the seller personally, but his other posts don't immediately reveal anything uncool. He has offered additional pictures, and sounds like a good guy.

This one is not exactly what i want, but i think i have a buddy who will want it if i tire of it (assuming i don't blow my hand off).

I'm not looking for anything more than a range gun and don't expect 2" groups at 50 yards.

Thanks for the knowledge, guys!

Last edited by orangello; 12-16-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The seller is to send me some more pics & has been told it is probably a CVA pistol. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a catalog of CVA guns.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I am not aware of CVA making pistols. Their web site shows only rifles. If you can get some pics of markings and all it will help. Those reproduction pistols are fun, but like you said not made for super accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ya know, after finally finding their website & looking it over, even the warranty books don't seem to include pistols. There was some brief mention of revolvers that had been discontinued, but nothing much was said. I'll be interested to see other pics.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, i think i may have found a very similar piece on Gunbroker: Markwell Arms Percussion .45 Cal Blackpowder $1NR : Black Powder / Muzzle loading at GunBroker.com

Anybody familiar with Markwell Arms, formerly of Chicago? The only difference i can see (very untrained eye) is the sights & the scrollwork on the sideplate. Both are in .45 & have the metal ramrod.

Rutro! Would you consider this a fair evaluation of this company/product: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070302115441AAGMfob ???

Last edited by orangello; 12-17-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

'gello:

First off, how much are you considering paying for this pistol?

If it is less than $100 go for it.

Check out Dixie Gun Works:

Traditions .50 cal Kentucky $190

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Or better yet (more $$) the Pedersoli .54 Kentucky $325

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Tx. Well, the seller still hasn't sent anymore pictures, so maybe i won't have to tell him it doesn't seem to be worth the $150~~ he thought would be ballpark.

I had been ogling the Pendersoli Kentucky pistol from Dixie and one of the Traditions models from Cabela's, but this came up for sale on another forum. Unless the seller can afford to sell it fairly cheap, i think i'm going to pass (assuming he sends an email with the requested pics). :disappointed smiley:

Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

'gello:

I now have more firearms manufactured by Pedersoli that I have from any other single manufacturer (and my total firearms count now exceeds 40). I am VERY happy with each and every one of the Pedersoli's. Granted, I could have bought similar guns built by other manufacturers for less, but the quality of the Pedersoli's kept drawing me back to their offering even if the price was higher. My soon to be Xmas present from the wonderful Mrs. TXnorton is another Pedersoli, a 1863 Robinson/Sharps Calvary carbine (.54 cal paper cartridge type).

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #9

I have a Kentucky-type pistol just about like that one. It is a CVA pistol .50 cal. , that they used to sell years ago. I will sell it for $100. Send me a p.m.