Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Any Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any Suggestions

Have been shooting BP rifles for a few years now. I want to get a large caliber revolver to use for hunting. I want one with a strong backstrap but that is the extent of my desires. 44 caliber or larger. Anyone with a suggestion and maybe a link to a site for purchase please feel free to chime in.
Thanks, Blue

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Are BP revolvers legal to hunt with in Texas? Just curious, because BP hand guns are not legal in Ohio for hunting. Handguns for hunting in Ohio have to be walled cartridges, .357 or larger and 5" barrel or longer.

If they are legal in Texas, then I would look at the long barrel replicas that you can get from stores like Cabelas. .44 cal and can shoot the conical bullets. The accuracy of balls can be suspect at best over 25 yards or so.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks

I am not sure if BP handguns are legal here in Texas. I hunt here and in Georgia and they are legal in Georgia where I want to use the revolver. I will check out the available ones at Cabela's.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #4

Bluexj, If you want 44.......Get yourself a Colt walker. Also some good ones are all 3 models of the Colt Dragoon. All four have the nick name as the 4 pound gun. I have used up to 50 gr. of 3f blackpowder in my 3rd model Dragoon. You better hold on to it. It is the biggest revolver you can get. You might think about a single shot pistol. You can get them up to 54 cal.

Muzzleman

Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #5

BlueXJ, Don't know if they are still in production, but Ruger's Blackhawk Old Army models in .45 would fit the bill. They are actually strong enough that you can buy aftermarket cylinders to swap out and fire .45 long colt cartridges in them: of course, the cylinders cost nearly as much as the whole gun!
I still see them used on gunbroker and the like for $3-400.00.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #6

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ruger Old Army is out of production but can still be found NIB. Conversion cylinders are available for all .44 repros. By back strap I assume you mean top strap but the open top Colt designs are plenty strong enough to handle the heaviest bp loads. Just stay away from brass framed guns for heavy loads.