Antique Blackpowder Double Barrel Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Antique Blackpowder Double Barrel Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Antique Blackpowder Double Barrel Shotgun

My father just picked up this old shotgun (at a yardsale!) and it doesn't seem to have any identifying marks on it. He's very curious about it (not so much for a value issue as the fact that he loves blackpowder - has been hunting with it for decades). Here's a link to some pictures I took of it:

Antique Shotgun

Thanks for any thoughts/helps!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaGirl View Post
My father just picked up this old shotgun (at a yardsale!) and it doesn't seem to have any identifying marks on it. He's very curious about it (not so much for a value issue as the fact that he loves blackpowder - has been hunting with it for decades). Here's a link to some pictures I took of it:

Antique Shotgun

Thanks for any thoughts/helps!
I would have it inspected by a gunsmith if he plans of firing it. If not, and he is wanting history, check with some of the historical societies that are knowledgeable in antique firearms. That may have been built from a kit.

The sellers had no info on it at all?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's an American style stock but he can remove the barrels to see if there's any proof marks under them. That would determine country of origin if other than American. Locks may have identifying marks on the back side. Bad news is the nipples have been brazed in and are flattened from dry firing. The barrels are in too bad of a shape to be fired anyway so that's not necessarily a real bad thing(takes away the temptation). It's a nice display piece tho. Hope he didn't give much for it.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #4

Default old double barrel

MY father inlaw just dropped off the same shot gun as yours today, I am trying to find out the model also if you do find any information on it I would appreciate a reply and I'll do the same.
Mickey Adam

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

I also have came across a blackpowder double . The only identifing mark is a bee with the letters DL on each wing. Any idea of who maybe made it ,and age?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Hi there! When you get a minute, stop over by the intro thread and say hello.

The D and L on a bee's wings was a trademark of Dresse Laloux of Liege, Belgium. They made guns from around 1867 to 1908. Of course, a thread is fairly useless WITHOUT PICTURES ! PICTURES, MAN! WE NEED IMAGES!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Id'ing old guns

I'd say give these guys a line this is right up there alley

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Feedback.aspx

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=12&subID=83&styleID=292
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=12&subID=83&styleID=292&PageSi ze=10&Page=2

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 11-01-2011 at 08:30 PM.