Amish Girl Killed In Freak Accident - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Amish Girl Killed In Freak Accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I agree! Only a moron would shoot a rifle in the air just to clear the barrel of a round to clean a weapon! God bless the little girls family! I realize the Amish believe things happen for a reason and a part of God's plan but still despite that they grieve like most of us. We have a lot of Amish here in Tennessee where I live and they are good people. Anyway back to the point! Unfortunately, it was a freak accident for sure. And I do believe that a modern muzzle loader with the modern powders and bullets could possibly travel a mile and a half. Taking into the consideration of the force of a falling round from a significant angle. The reason that I am basing my comment on is on the Sandy Hook Test that was conducted way back in 1879. The test done by Springfield Armory (Original Springfield Armory on the East Coast) on the 45-70 rifle caliber with the test being conducted by Mr. R T Hare of Springfield. Since a lot of the new muzzle loaders using the new powders and ammunition have a better ballistics factor than the old original 45-70 rounds mentioned I believe even though a freak accident it could have happened regarding the Amish girl. R T Hare fired the 45-70 Rifle with elevation at a 6ft. Target at 2500 yards. Hitting the target! Believe it or not his farthest hit ever accomplished by him with the 45-70 was 3200 Yards. Bottom line is he could do this with the older 45-70 which was loaded a lot lighter than some of our modern day 45-70 ammunition and the fact that some muzzle loader ammunition combinations are hotter than the original 45-70 loads of the time. Unfortunately it is possible! But the guy is still an idiot for shooting in the air to clear a weapon. Our hearts still go out to the family for the unnecessary loss of their daughter.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

I would like to redirect the thread to my original question. Is this "common practice" as has been said in some reports to fire a muzzle-loader BP rifle by firing it into the air?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Vikingdad,

It is very simple! NO it is not. If firing to unload, it certainly should be done by firing it into the ground! Not the air! Or without the cap depending on the bullet used the bullet can be removed with the use of a remover on the tip of the rod and then the powder can be removed. Personally I would just shoot it into the ground at a safe location.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #14

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

As much as I hate to say this the hole thing might have just been fate, the chances of the round traveling that far without hitting something else then hitting another person in the head while moving is one in a million. While tragic maybe god has other plans for her... I agree out of all the places that he could have fired his rifle he should have fired it into the ground, or even gone about other methods of unloading it.

I'm a guy that believes everything happens for a reason while we may not know it it's done for a reason. May she rest in peace and god have mercy on her soul.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #15

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Read some history drduck.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Possible? Of course. One in a quadrillion shot randomly at a moving taret that far away. Fate, for sure. Will a bullet kill at that range? Easily. Gravity pulls it to the ground the same on the way up as on the way down. Terminal velocity of 120mph? That is a falling human body. A bullet will easily exceed that velocity especially if it has any spin left to it to keep it nose forward.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Bullets fired into the air during celebrations fall with sufficient force to cause injury and death (1)
New Year's Eve Injuries Caused by Celebratory Gunfire --- Puerto Rico, 2003

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would like to redirect the thread to my original question. Is this "common practice" as has been said in some reports to fire a muzzle-loader BP rifle by firing it into the air?
This is absolutely NOT a practice by RESPONSIBLE firearm owners.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

its a shame that this little girl paid for some morons bad decision with her life

i seen an episode on mythbusters about bullets fired into the air. what i remember was that if the muzzle of the gun your firing into the air,isnt exactly 90 deg. straight up,the bullet keeps its spin & will kill! but if the bullet is just free falling,it want kill,just hurt like hell.i think they had said the bullet dead falling to earth was like around 60mph?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #20

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Not saying it couldn't happen... but I don't think so. I really think there is going to be more on this before it is closed. Hawg, your comment about me reading history... do you know what the bullet drop is for a .58 loaded with a 480 grain mini and 60 grains of ffg is/was at 500 yards with the gun zero at 100? Over 500 inches! That's more then a 40 foot drop in just 500 yards! What do you think it is/was at 1000 yards! 1000 yard kill shots during the civil war were an accident. Some records indicate that there were over 150 shots fired for every one battle field casualty. If you sling enough lead around, sooner or later someone will get hurt.
I wonder if anyone ever could make a consistent 1000 yard shot with open sights using any gun.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer