Amish Girl Killed In Freak Accident

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Amish Girl Killed In Freak Accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8276 Times on 4782 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Default Amish Girl Killed In Freak Accident

Please tell me it is not "common practice" to unload your black powder rifles by firing them into the air.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/amish-girl-buggy-shooting-freak-accident/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5673 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

No. Its just how morons do it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Something just doesn't pass the "smell test". I am really having a problem with a muzzle loading gun that can spew a bullet 1.5 miles let alone still have enough energy to do much harm. This guy just matched the world record sniper shot with a muzzle loader and with a head shot at a moving target. If this really did happen that way... that is a true "freak" accident.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Know your backstop and what's beyond it. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. The guy with the black powder firearm broke some basic rules...the child is dead and this guy will live with that for the rest of his life.

There's just no room for breaking the basic safety rules, and as we can see in this case, the cost of breaking the rules can be enormous. I can't imagine the pain the child's family is experiencing.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Something just doesn't pass the "smell test". I am really having a problem with a muzzle loading gun that can spew a bullet 1.5 miles let alone still have enough energy to do much harm.
You haven't been around smoke poles much then. They were making 1000 yard kill shots during the Civil War with 65 grains of powder and a 500 grain minie. This guy was probably using a modern contraption with 150 grains of powder and a 300 grain bullet. I doubt he would have made the hit had he been trying to, that's where the freak accident comes in. The girl is dead and that's the sad part. It could have been avoided had he just fired into the ground.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Shooting firearm into the air does have consequences, unfortunately.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hawg, 1000 yard kill shots with a mini is a bunch of spunk! If a 1000 guys aimed at the moon in the general direction of 1000 other guys and all shot at once... maybe someone would get hurt. I've been shooting bp for over 30 years and a mile and a half, I don't think so. I bet there will be more to come out of this, but none the less it is tragic.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 12-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #8

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

When I was a kid,our neighbor was "cleaning"his gun and it somehow went off and the bullet traveled about 100 yards and hit our house exactly where my head rests at night.I don't remember the circumstances or the caliber,but it was a deer rifle.The lucky thing is that we weren't home at the time and the amazing thing was that the bullet hit at just the right angle that it went into the siding and ricochet'd out of the siding about 6" away from the entrance hole.The house is only siding and like 3/4" plywood so I don't know how the bullet managed to not get inside the house.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

One thing i'd like to add to some people's opinion that a falling bullet don't have enough energy to kill someone,that they need to have a better understanding of science.Like,a .22 bullet falling onto even someone's head may not kill them,but reguardless of the caliber,all falling bullets travel at the same terminal velocity(about 150mph),so a miniball or shotgun slug coming down out of the sky has 10X's the energy of a falling .22,and that my friend will kill ya.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Hawg, 1000 yard kill shots with a mini is a bunch of spunk! If a 1000 guys aimed at the moon in the general direction of 1000 other guys and all shot at once... maybe someone would get hurt. I've been shooting bp for over 30 years and a mile and a half, I don't think so. I bet there will be more to come out of this, but none the less it is tragic.
It's called volley fire, and it comes from the days of military archers. The idea is to arc the bullet into an enemy formation at maximum range. You would have a few thousand guys fire at another few thousand guys all standing in a densely packed military formation. If 1% of the shots hit the formation you had a compounding effect on the enemy morale. Most old military rifles like the mauser have iron sights set up for out to 2,000 yds/m. A ridiculous range for the rifle and sight combo when you think of accurate fire. When you think like a military commander who remembers going to war with bows and arrows it makes sense. Start scratching at their morale as early as you can. Remember their targets at that range covered at least several hundred square yds. Think indirect fire at a hillside.