American Pioneer Powder - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > American Pioneer Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
I'm not getting paid to use it but it's the only thing I'll use. Have you tried the loose FFF JSG? I don't use the sticks so can't comment on them but WHY are you badmouthing ALL of it if you've only used the sticks? Have you even tried the loose powder? I have and it's a great product.

I'm not getting paid either. Thought that by now most folks would have read that JSG sticks stink: Especially the three pellet loads. In order to make the sticks work at all you have to really lean on the ramrod and slightly crush them.

JSG granular is a very good consistent powder. It is really nice to be able to easily remove the breech plug from the inline without putting the gun in a vise: Had to do this quite a few times when using Pyrodex and 777. It is also very nice to be able to fire 15 or 20 rounds without swabbing out the barrel. There is no 777 crud ring to deal with either.

In order to use JSG effectively one has to slightly change his/her loading habits. JSG likes a tight fitting sabot seated very hard on the powder.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #22

Default triple 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
I'm not getting paid either. Thought that by now most folks would have read that JSG sticks stink: Especially the three pellet loads. In order to make the sticks work at all you have to really lean on the ramrod and slightly crush them.

JSG granular is a very good consistent powder. It is really nice to be able to easily remove the breech plug from the inline without putting the gun in a vise: Had to do this quite a few times when using Pyrodex and 777. It is also very nice to be able to fire 15 or 20 rounds without swabbing out the barrel. There is no 777 crud ring to deal with either.

In order to use JSG effectively one has to slightly change his/her loading habits. JSG likes a tight fitting sabot seated very hard on the powder.
alsaqr= Wasn't there a article that came out in one of the muzzleloader mags. that when using 777 with a 209 primer that it caused the powder to move down bore before the powder ignited causing the crud ring you mentioned? Pete

Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
alsaqr= Wasn't there a article that came out in one of the muzzleloader mags. that when using 777 with a 209 primer that it caused the powder to move down bore before the powder ignited causing the crud ring you mentioned? Pete

Yes, i read an article that claimed a regular shotgun primer caused the powder and bullet/sabot to move before the powder ignited.
Winchester and other companies came out with primers that were supposed to remedy the situation. Winchester 777 primers only made my 777 crud ring worse-much worse. Not sure I believe their theory.

I've seen a small crud ring with other powders too: Pyrodex, JSG and Pinnacle will leave a small crud ring where the sabot sits if one does not get all the oil out of the bore before firing the gun.

777 is a really good powder but is awfully dirty. It makes very good groups if one swabs the bore after every shot.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #24

Default Crud Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Yes, i read an article that claimed a regular shotgun primer caused the powder and bullet/sabot to move before the powder ignited.
Winchester and other companies came out with primers that were supposed to remedy the situation. Winchester 777 primers only made my 777 crud ring worse-much worse. Not sure I believe their theory.

I've seen a small crud ring with other powders too: Pyrodex, JSG and Pinnacle will leave a small crud ring where the sabot sits if one does not get all the oil out of the bore before firing the gun.

777 is a really good powder but is awfully dirty. It makes very good groups if one swabs the bore after every shot.
alsaqr: You guy's might laugh about this but, After I take a muzzleloader out that I have put up pickled with oil, borebutter, etc. I use gumout carburetor cleaner spray it in the bore and through the nipple. Hold muzzle down in a old can. let it drain blow through the nipple hole. And you are ready to fire. no snapping caps. It will not hurt the wood. Not sure on the nylon stocks. Pete

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I use gumout carburetor cleaner spray it in the bore and through the nipple. Hold muzzle down in a old can.
It sounds like a great idea. Gumout will cut about anything. It might melt some of those pretty plastic stocks though.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #26

Are you using powder or sticks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm54 View Post
I have used APP and JSG in my 50.cal Encore and 54.cal Hawken it is clean burning and consistent, I clean the bore of oil and lube and seat the patched ball,conical or bullet sabot on the powder charge with consistent firm pressure. I'm getting one inch groups with the Encore at 100 yards and can shoot all day with out cleaning between shots.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #27

Seems that I upset a few folks...my apologies. I spoke to a rep from APP and he instructed that I need to clean my barrel out with alcohol to rid it of any oils possible. Wish me luck.