American Pioneer Powder - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > American Pioneer Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have used APP and JSG in my 50.cal Encore and 54.cal Hawken it is clean burning and consistent, I clean the bore of oil and lube and seat the patched ball,conical or bullet sabot on the powder charge with consistent firm pressure. I'm getting one inch groups with the Encore at 100 yards and can shoot all day with out cleaning between shots.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

Quote:
I'm getting one inch groups with the Encore at 100 yards and can shoot all day with out cleaning between shots.

That is the beauty of APP and JSG. Am able to remove the breech plug from my CVA guns with a big screwdriver. Can't do that when using Pyrodex or 777.

Last year I got into Goex Pinnacle. Pinnacle is made by the folks who make APP. Am getting really good groups with it. It is more powerful than JSG. Pinnacle likes a tight fitting sabot that is seated really hard on the powder.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #13

Default app

The best thing to do is use the 3f loose powder , not the 2f or the sticks , 2f is gravel and sticks do not compress well not to mention you can't adjust your grainage amounts using the sticks, also clean your gun out with alcohol before you load the first time an do not use any lubes while shooting it
I have been shooting it for @ 7 years now, I have killed every deer I have shot at with it , I did have to play around with the load amount to get what my rifle liked , I shoot a .45 underhammer and my wife shoots a .50 sidelock , as well as our daughters , with no scopes at 100 yards I hit 2 inch groupings with it with every gun we own , but not with the same powder charge every one of them likes something different , that is what is key no matter what type of powder you use every gun is different as well as every powder , It does draw moisture , if you plan on keeping it for long time would recommend sealing it in a vacuum bag like the food sealers , I dont have that problem as I shoot enough that I go thru 5 or 6 lbs a year ....
So find what your gun likes and have fun!!!!

Last edited by mountinman1964; 05-25-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #14

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive used the fffg american pioneer powder in my 1858 remington and it works just fine!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #15

I loaded .45 Schofield with APP for use in my R&D Conversion of an 1851 Pietta and shot an eight in group at 50 feet

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #16

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_houle View Post
I loaded .45 Schofield with APP for use in my R&D Conversion of an 1851 Pietta and shot an eight in group at 50 feet
Well that ain't good.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #17

All right, here we go:
Printed off this target http://www.mytargets.com/target1%20Crosshairs.pdf
and I have six .45 colt left over (???) of Remington green/ yellow box
I am takin a file to the nose of each bullet due to the OAL being too long. .45 Colt has an OAL of 1.6 and the conversion cylinder doesn't like them to be over 1.58...
All right, I'm off. BRB

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #18

Six shots and didn't hit paper @ 50 feet. I would guesstimate that the (only hit I could find in the berm) point of impact to be about a foot high, I would shoot at a larger target just to make sure, bu I am currently out of .45
I remeber why the six were here: I was going to have my Uberti be my nightstand gun, but changed my mind and went with my .357 and JHP for that role
Found it Remington Express 225gr LSWC
Have I really been watering down this load

Last edited by w_houle; 06-21-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: roll?.. really?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #19

Default American Pioneer Powder woes

Yep, and this stuff does NOT group consistently. I tried using this junk in my T/C Endeavor using T/C 250gr superglides and 3 50 gr sticks. At 50 yds, my first shot was 3 inches higher than target square. Second, apprx 8 inches to the left. Thought I pulled, but then the next shot was apprx. 10 inches high to the right!!! Therefore, I swabbed the barrel clean. Loaded again, used the same gun rest and squeezed....retarded shot again! I was very frustrated to say the least. Before loosing my cool, I asked my buddy to let me try his 777 Pyrodex in the same config 3-50gr. To my amazement(not really) my 3 shot group was 1" below target square!! Made small adjustment, squeezed....1" high! Shot at 100yd target, without cleaning my barrel....dead-on!! I do NOT recommend anyone to use this product unless you are endorseing it for $$. Heck, I would say that Elvis and Michael Jackson are playing tennis if someone paid me enough.

Keep it simple

Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not getting paid to use it but it's the only thing I'll use. Have you tried the loose FFF JSG? I don't use the sticks so can't comment on them but WHY are you badmouthing ALL of it if you've only used the sticks? Have you even tried the loose powder? I have and it's a great product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknapp View Post
Yep, and this stuff does NOT group consistently. I tried using this junk in my T/C Endeavor using T/C 250gr superglides and 3 50 gr sticks. At 50 yds, my first shot was 3 inches higher than target square. Second, apprx 8 inches to the left. Thought I pulled, but then the next shot was apprx. 10 inches high to the right!!! Therefore, I swabbed the barrel clean. Loaded again, used the same gun rest and squeezed....retarded shot again! I was very frustrated to say the least. Before loosing my cool, I asked my buddy to let me try his 777 Pyrodex in the same config 3-50gr. To my amazement(not really) my 3 shot group was 1" below target square!! Made small adjustment, squeezed....1" high! Shot at 100yd target, without cleaning my barrel....dead-on!! I do NOT recommend anyone to use this product unless you are endorseing it for $$. Heck, I would say that Elvis and Michael Jackson are playing tennis if someone paid me enough.

Keep it simple

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Newest Threads