Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   American Pioneer Powder (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/american-pioneer-powder-2034/)

wtr100 09-26-2007 05:41 PM

American Pioneer Powder

has anyone had luck with this stuff?

My .58 won't shoot it worth a darn - I shoots pyrodex and Goex blackpowder just fine.

1984cj 09-26-2007 09:04 PM

I haven't tried APP but it's supposed to be clean and reliable.

I tried 777 when they said that and was severely disappointed.
I stick to Pyrodex RS and P. I like boom and smoke!
Black powder is just to much of a pain to get.(No where local carries it)

Catfish 09-28-2007 04:35 PM

I`ve used it and had no problems with it so far, but I`m hearing that it goes bad in the can in a year or so.

stalkingbear 09-28-2007 11:06 PM

american pioneer powder

We tested american pioneer powder,triple 7,pyrodex,and black powder all side by side for accuracy,consistancy,speed,and fouling buildup. all rifles were exactly same and same setup. American pioneer powder proved to be clearly superior in all ways and is the only powder I'll use from now on.

TnRebel 09-29-2007 07:32 PM

I have been using APBP for about two years now in my 44 Army with a little dry cream of wheat and it makes a load bang with lots of smoke for reenacting. it cleans better then black powder and .I am :D

wtr100 10-01-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 8987)
We tested american pioneer powder,triple 7,pyrodex,and black powder all side by side for accuracy,consistancy,speed,and fouling buildup. all rifles were exactly same and same setup. American pioneer powder proved to be clearly superior in all ways and is the only powder I'll use from now on.

I'm wondering if it's a a quality control thing - good batches and bad batched.

Looking at the actual powder the grain size seems to run from large gravel to pepper size bits.

rickrem700 10-10-2007 07:10 AM

App

I use it and am very happy with it, it dose everything it's suppose to do, and Is really clean burning, The down side is that stuff stinks to high heaven, if the wind is blowing back at ya, it's enough to gag a magot!!!

alsaqr 10-10-2007 08:23 PM

i have used Clean Shot, APP and JSG off and on since 2002. The Clean Shot pellets were nearly impossible to light in my guns even with 209 primers. Finally i loaded about five grains of granular APP and then the pellets. This did the trick, the granular ignited the two pellets, it was a very powerful load and very clean.

Last year i bought a new Encore. 50 caliber and tried JSG FFG. With 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST in the tight fitting short black sabots, the gun would shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Killed a deer at over 170 yards with this load and a hog at over 190 yards. JSG is a very clean powder and i will stick with it. Just sighted in my Encore for 110 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST. Am now read for OK muzzleloader season.

erbriggs 11-19-2008 02:42 AM

shockey's gold

i tried this in my traditions inline, no luck at all.:mad:

stalkingbear 01-14-2009 03:10 PM

Those of yall having problems-no offence but are you loading it like it needs to be loaded? What priming system, loose vs stick, and seating pressure are you using?