Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Advice on Flintlock Firearms...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advice on Flintlock Firearms...

Does any here have experience with flintlock rifles (or pistols) and have any advice on the pros and cons of flintlocks and would you consider them to be a viable long term gun more so than other guns, provided I would be casting bullets, making wadding and black powder on my own.

I am looking to possibly purchase a flintlock rifle in the next 2 weeks or so. I currently try to live as basic as possible and make as many goods as possible ( which is most of my needs actually). My goal for buying a flintlock would be to become more self sufficient in yet another aspect. Making BP, wadding and casting lead is all familiar to me but I would be a total newbie to flintlocks. Any advice is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Better have a source for flints, too. A broken flint will put you right out of business, unless you want to ignight the powder in the pan with a smoldering piece of rope!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Along with your current learning objectives, learn to knap flint. A GOOD flint may get you 10 shots. As a subset to your learning objectives, creative profanity should be included. Extra points if you can swear with feeling in a language other than your native tongue.

Seriously, what put the flintlock in the shade was reliability (term flash in the pan came from flinters, along with keep your powder dry) measurable delay between click and bang, and the aforementioned snapping of flint.

If you can master that, AND have a source of sulfur and saltpetre, you can just about do from scratch. Hint- Willow charcoal does best, do not ask me why, and learn about "corned" powder vs meal powder. You will need very fine priming powder for the pan- glass or brass rod can be used to roll regular powder to crush down to ffffG grade for priming.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeNihilist View Post
Does any here have experience with flintlock rifles (or pistols) and have any advice on the pros and cons of flintlocks and would you consider them to be a viable long term gun more so than other guns, provided I would be casting bullets, making wadding and black powder on my own.

I am looking to possibly purchase a flintlock rifle in the next 2 weeks or so. I currently try to live as basic as possible and make as many goods as possible ( which is most of my needs actually). My goal for buying a flintlock would be to become more self sufficient in yet another aspect. Making BP, wadding and casting lead is all familiar to me but I would be a total newbie to flintlocks. Any advice is appreciated.
I've got a couple of flintlocks and I shoot them very occasionally.... maybe I would do better with them if I had been shooting them all my life, but I find that pan-flash to be disturbing, ruining my aim.

I'm afraid I'll never be much of a marksman with a flintlock rifle, so I settled on a smoothbore which can be loaded with shot. Might be something to consider. A large-caliber smoothbore is pretty versatile.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Or a capper!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #6

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
measurable delay between click and bang, and the aforementioned snapping of flint.

A good quality flint lock is just as fast as a cap lock with no snapping. A good quality cap lock is as fast as a center fire. English flints will get you 15+ shots before knapping.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Free:

To what end do you intend to use the flintlock? Recreational shooting? Hunting?

I have several BP firearms one of which is a nice .54 cal flintlock rifle. It shoots very well, but it took me a good while to learn to shoot it properly. The main difference is the “follow-through”, i.e. maintaining a good sight picture after pulling the trigger so that the short but very real time delay between trigger pull and actual firing does not change your point of impact. When I first started shooting my flintlock, I was consistently shooting off center until I realized I was relaxing my muscles after I pulled the trigger and changing the point of aim before the rifle actually discharged, It took a bit of practice to get it right.

The flintlock is a great rifle for 100 yard target shooting as long as you do not expect MOA groups. It is a very fun rifle to shoot.

The flintlock (obviously) served well as a hunting tool over 200 years ago, so it could serve you well in that arena as well, although you will have to really learn how to hunt like they did back in the late 1700’s – early 1800’s.

I won’t even ask about self defense, not the best choice, but once again flintlocks worked reasonably well back in their day.

I get as many as 50-60 shots out of a flint, maybe having to adjust the flint on the jaws after about 15-20 shots. You do have to keep watch on the flints getting loose. I have not tried to knap a flint. They are pretty easy to buy on-line, and not that expensive. But if you intend to be totally self sufficient you should learn that skill.

All in all, if you want to use a flintlock to meet your self-sufficiency goals you should go ahead and do it!

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 01-29-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Free:

To what end do you intend to use the flintlock? Recreational shooting? Hunting?

I have several BP firearms one of which is a nice .54 cal flintlock rifle. It shoots very well, but it took me a good while to learn to shoot it properly. The main difference is the “follow-through”, i.e. maintaining a good sight picture after pulling the trigger so that the short but very real time delay between trigger pull and actual firing does not change your point of impact. When I first started shooting my flintlock, I was consistently shooting off center until I realized I was relaxing my muscles after I pulled the trigger and changing the point of aim before the rifle actually discharged, It took a bit of practice to get it right.

The flintlock is a great rifle for 100 yard target shooting as long as you do not expect MOA groups. It is a very fun rifle to shoot.

The flintlock (obviously) served well as a hunting tool over 200 years ago, so it could serve you well in that arena as well, although you will have to really learn how to hunt like they did back in the late 1700’s – early 1800’s.

I won’t even ask about self defense, not the best choice, but once again flintlocks worked reasonably well back in their day.

I get as many as 50-60 shots out of a flint, maybe having to adjust the flint on the jaws after about 15-20 shots. You do have to keep watch on the flints getting loose. I have not tried to knap a flint. They are pretty easy to buy on-line, and not that expensive. But if you intend to be totally self sufficient you should learn that skill.

All in all, if you want to use a flintlock to meet your self-sufficiency goals you should go ahead and do it!
I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me. Thank you.

I intend to use it for hunting primarily. I have a very small amount of experience with knapping stone to make primitive stone knives, I suppose its time to hone that skillset much further just in case I might need it one day. Its better to have and not need rather then the other way around.

I definitely dont intend it to be a self defense gun rather a gun I would be able to continue using over the long term if TSHTF without relying on others for supplies, to put food on the table. I also enjoy primitive technology and skills.

Where Im at, whitetail deer would be the primary quarry. Theyre overly abundant and the easiest large game to encounter in the area. I use trapping for small game to medium and most every other critter 'round these parts. So I suppose it's primary function would be a deer rifle.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #9

Years ago in a magazine they had a prayer that had the title of "And the lord said let there be flint" the bad thing with a flinter is once you try it you are sunk, they are a very beautiful form of a firearm that our early settlers depended on for many things.
I have both cap and flint but i shoot my flinters more than anything, my favorites are my smooth bore 62 caliber fowlers. the lock time can be speeded up by the amount of priming powder you use, learn to use the correct amount it doesnt take alot to set it off infact the more you use the slower it will be. you will learn to love a flinter as you will spend time time with her to learn what she likes, they become a part of you.
yes keep a supply of flints on hand and yes Hawg is right the english flints are fantastic, keep them sharp and they will throw a spark like nothing else, but you will also need to have good lock that has a properly hardened frizzen also.
rifles are fun but take a scout troop and let them use a smoothbore that is loaded with a single ball, or a buck and ball load, using anything for wadding as was done in the 1700's when they ran low on leather or material type patching and it brings a smile on thier face that you will never forget.
sorry for getting carried away but once you fall in love with a rock gun you dont talk about anything else. sorry Hawg i got carried away.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #10

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A well built flinter is a fast dependable firearm. The flinter and the perc. cap when measured for speed are almost too close to tell. As for flint life a good lock and proper grooming of the rock will get over 100 lights. You can buy the Black English flints from TOW and others. Rich Pearce sells Long Hunter flints a chert rock that is cheap and works great. Do not knap and waste your flints. Use a diamond file to keep an edge on your rocks. By using a file to keep the flint sharp you are not breaking and shortening your rocks. A good flash hole or vent is most important. A flinter that has a good lock and vent works fine in the rain. They are easier to clear than a perc nipple when wet. The shooter needs only to open the frizzen wipe the pan reprime and fire. The flinter was used by many after the advent of the cap. It was much easier to learn how to use a perc. cap. Just like today gun owners had different levels of gun knowledge.

RC