"accidental discharge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > "accidental discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default "accidental discharge

"accidental discharge" warning
« on: Today at 10:50:42 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
"accidental discharge" warning
Realizing that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only an action that should have been prevented.
The other day I was navigating through brush to my stand with my hands full of "stuff", my CVA Optima ML loaded and primed, un-cocked and slung over my shoulder.
Then BANG- what the heck happened? the rifle went off.
CONCLUSION: I theorized that somehow the hammer got caught on a piece of brush, clothing, necessary bag and partially cocked and released and fired.
I verified later with several primers that such can easily happen.
A WARNING NOT TO PRIME YOUR FIREARM UNTIL YOU ARE ON YOUR STAND OR ACTIVELY HUNTING WITH THE FIREARM IN THE READY POSITION.

THE "UN-COCKED" HAMMER IS NOT A SAFETY UNDER SOME CONDITIONS

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: "accidental discharge" warning
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:16:51 PM »

BUT if the hammer is NOT drawn to full draw where the sear is engaged and released it will fire from a partial cock and the transfer bar will function to fire.

Yes, It did scare the crap out of me, especially since there are houses with in 500 yards of where I was located. Fortunately the muzzle was luckily pointed in a benign position

Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DISCHARGE UPDATE
I found the cause of my discharge with the counsel of you folks.

MY DISCHARGE WAS NOT CAUSED BY THE FIREARM.
It was caused by water & rust getting into the firing pin spring which did not allow the pin to fully reset. Upon further thought this could have caused a discharge upon closing the breech.
All above surely reinforces the rules that the gun is always loaded and never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to shoot

IT WAS MY FAULT for not recognizing this as I could not remove the screw holding the pin.

BOTTOM LINE- check your firearm THOROUGHLY or else something like I explained could be catastrophic.

From now on I will hit all the hidden parts with WD 40 to remove any condensation followed by a spray cleaner to prevent WD 40 gumming

THANKS to all for the very tactful advice

Salute