75mm Pack Howitzer - Help - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 75mm Pack Howitzer - Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooie View Post
well, its somebody elses problem now.

we have a dont ask dont tell policy around these parts. LEOs around here would be more likely to have their picture taken with the cannon as to write up how it was found and mess with paperwork.

i dont know where the hell yall live, but from yalls advice for just about anything i post is to contact the authorities. its not always necessary around here. yeah, if you found a nice SAW machine gun or fully auto AK, then yeah, thats different. but a cannon in this condition, over 50 years old, and been missing since the 60s'/70's, under Arkansas salvage law says its mine. im sure somebody would want it back, but they cant get it back.

i understand the gun law of 34'. thats fine. this thing is in non firing condition. and outta my hands.

time for me to find a new guntalk board.
We were all just trying to help a member avoid making a BIG mistake, due to ignorance of the law.

I was at the Ventura Gun Show a couple of years ago, when something on a table caught my eye. It was a de-milled USGI M14 receiver. Totally stripped, with no parts. Problem was, it had been re-welded into a complete receiver again. I tried to explain to the owner that the BATFE has a policy that goes something like this; "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun". Taking one that had been LEGALLY de-milled by Uncle Sugar, and re-welding it into a (possibly) functional unit again, is NOT LEGAL.

Now if your Pack75 had been a legal de-mil (done to BATFE spec by torch cutting the breech end, removing critical steel and welding shut, etc), then dumped in the river, it would another story. But if it was 100% complete, and had NOT been de-milled prior to dumping it falls into the category of, "Once a destructive device, always a destructive device". Rust, or no rust, the BATFE might not like you having it.

So if you need to find another board to discuss this stuff on, be careful of the advice you receive. I'd bet if you posted that on MilitaryFirearm.com the replies would not have been as nice as they were here.

Just saying....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #22

i do appreciate the advice.

yes, im ignorant to alot of gun laws i dont know about. but that doesnt make me a bad guy or criminal. hell, im a good ol boy and most LEOs know me and my family around here. its a small town. finds like this are appreciated and not confiscated.

from what we gathered, the breech is gone.

now that its gone, i can say, i believe it was the butt of a college prank, where somebody stole an ROTC cannon from one school and then pushed it in the river. soo many factors leading me to believe its age, but not more so than the fact it was pushed in the river from 1 point, then travled over the years 15-20 miles down river where it was found.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #23

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooie View Post
i do appreciate the advice.

yes, im ignorant to alot of gun laws i dont know about. but that doesnt make me a bad guy or criminal. hell, im a good ol boy and most LEOs know me and my family around here. its a small town. finds like this are appreciated and not confiscated.

from what we gathered, the breech is gone.

now that its gone, i can say, i believe it was the butt of a college prank, where somebody stole an ROTC cannon from one school and then pushed it in the river. soo many factors leading me to believe its age, but not more so than the fact it was pushed in the river from 1 point, then travled over the years 15-20 miles down river where it was found.
Perfect. The mis-matched tires were an indicator that it had not been in active use when dumped into the river.

None of us thought you were a criminal. It is just that the BATFE does not make distinctions, so we wanted you to be careful.

It is either legal, or it is illegal.

When in doubt, always assume the latter.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #24

well i appreciate ya