Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > .50 cal rust removal advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .50 cal rust removal advice

I was givin an old cva. I have cleaned up the barrel enough that it is respectable. The inside of the barrel is loaded with rust. It is so bad it shreds a patch into fibers when I pass it through. Anybody out there with some input as to how to efficiantly bust the rust would be appreciated. I've been brushing it alot and have'nt been able to get a shiny spot anywhere. Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #2

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Plug the nipple and fill the bore with Kroil and let it sit overnight. Then work on it with Kroil and a bronze brush. Don't be discouraged if it's pitted. I've seen some badly pitted barrels turn in great groups.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 on the Kroil Hawg!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never heard of Kroil, thanks for the post!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=137203

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

"The Oil that Creeps" into areas as small as one-one millionth of an inch. The best stuff on the planet for breaking rusted bolts and nuts. If the barrel is THAT full of rust, I'd be concerned about accuracy. Remember, rust is metal gone bad...if you remove that much metal from your bore you probably don't have any rifling left...you probably have a .52 cal. smoothbore.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's my honest opinion, after attempting to clean up dozens of them, that you're going to go through a lot of trouble for nothing. From your description it sounds like a lost cause, I could be wrong. The early side hammer CVAs didn't sell for very much to begin with so it MAY be more trouble than it's worth. If you still want to attempt it, do as the posters said & completely fill the barrel full of Kroil or some other penetrating oil and forget about it for about a month. Then scrub the hell out of it with a Tornado brush to begin with, then the bronze brush. Finally follow up with JB's bore compound (with a small bit of oil) and a snug patch.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #7

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It probably will be pitted to some extent but I think it's worth the trouble to clean it up and shoot it before I made a final judgement. CVA's weren't high dollar guns and still aren't but they'll shoot just as good as most and better than some. Some of the early ones even had Douglas barrels. I'd check the twist rate too, some of the CVA's had a 1:66 twist for round balls only. Even if the barrel is bad you can get a replacement barrel for it and still be ahead of the game.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

Default Removing rust

Hawg: I bought a older lyman. off the net and it was full of rust I plugged the nipple and filled the bore with Hydrogen Peroxide Let stand overnite. top of bore will be filled with rust. repeat until clean. If you already have oil in the bore you will need to scrub it out first before adding the peroxide. If that will not work.( My gun was pitted Baddd..... )I took it over to a gun smith had it bored out to a 58 smooth bore. Shot and loaded great. Pete

Last edited by petesridge; 10-31-2009 at 02:25 PM.