Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 50 cal muzzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default 50 cal muzzy

I have a 50 cal cap rifle black powder only, I have never fired this rifle mostly my old man has had it sitting it around, he said there was nothing wrong with it he just hasn't had a reason to shoot it. Well I was cleaning it out and I was using soapy water to clean the barrel (he said to use it...) well I looked down and some of the water was coming out of the barrel plug

The question is, is that safe shouldn't it be air tight, does this make this just not safe to shoot at this point?

I was going to have a gun smith look at it but he's gone out of town right now so yep...

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

You did not tell us what KIND of rifle you have- side lock, in line, what brand, etc. Was water coming out of the breech plug, or out of the nipple?

Do you have an owner's manual?

Yes, HOT water and Dawn dish detergent are a key part of cleaning one of these. Skip the fabric softner- barrel could get droopy.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You did not tell us what KIND of rifle you have- side lock, in line, what brand, etc. Was water coming out of the breech plug, or out of the nipple?

Do you have an owner's manual?

Yes, HOT water and Dawn dish detergent are a key part of cleaning one of these. Skip the fabric softner- barrel could get droopy.
LOL!! Something not quite right with you lad!

Yep, need more info. If its a sidelock and waters coming out the breach plug you have an issue fer sure!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's either coming out of the nipple or it's an inline.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

sorry internet was messed up for a while, it's a not an inline I do have an owners manual but I haven't seen it in a while (since we moved). Its a hexagon barrel, nipple is mounted on the side and the rear of the barrel has a cap I'm guessing is screwed into the barrel, when I did the barrel cleaning I could feel water coming out of the cap, not badly but just enough to notice.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Sounds like your rifle has a breech plug. No, should not leak water or anythingare removable, some not. MAY need removal, cleaning, reinstallation, or may be other problem.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #7

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It could be that somebody removed the breech plug at some point. Not a real bright idea with a side lock. It all but takes an act of congress to get one out and many times they don't line back up right.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #8

I'm just going to let it hang on the wall till my gunsmith gets back into town and then I'll take it to him see if there's anything that he can do. Thanks y'all for the help really appreciated.

BE PREPARED

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #9

Is the water coming out of the nipple?