Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   50 cal muzzy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/50-cal-muzzy-51313/)

unclebear 11-07-2011 03:07 AM

50 cal muzzy

I have a 50 cal cap rifle black powder only, I have never fired this rifle mostly my old man has had it sitting it around, he said there was nothing wrong with it he just hasn't had a reason to shoot it. Well I was cleaning it out and I was using soapy water to clean the barrel (he said to use it...) well I looked down and some of the water was coming out of the barrel plug

The question is, is that safe shouldn't it be air tight, does this make this just not safe to shoot at this point?

I was going to have a gun smith look at it but he's gone out of town right now so yep...

c3shooter 11-07-2011 11:01 AM

You did not tell us what KIND of rifle you have- side lock, in line, what brand, etc. Was water coming out of the breech plug, or out of the nipple?

Do you have an owner's manual?

Yes, HOT water and Dawn dish detergent are a key part of cleaning one of these. Skip the fabric softner- barrel could get droopy. :p

fmj 11-07-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 621493)
You did not tell us what KIND of rifle you have- side lock, in line, what brand, etc. Was water coming out of the breech plug, or out of the nipple?

Do you have an owner's manual?

Yes, HOT water and Dawn dish detergent are a key part of cleaning one of these. Skip the fabric softner- barrel could get droopy.
:p

LOL!! Something not quite right with you lad! :D

Yep, need more info. If its a sidelock and waters coming out the breach plug you have an issue fer sure!

Hawg 11-07-2011 11:07 PM

It's either coming out of the nipple or it's an inline.

unclebear 11-09-2011 07:45 PM

sorry internet was messed up for a while, it's a not an inline I do have an owners manual but I haven't seen it in a while (since we moved). Its a hexagon barrel, nipple is mounted on the side and the rear of the barrel has a cap I'm guessing is screwed into the barrel, when I did the barrel cleaning I could feel water coming out of the cap, not badly but just enough to notice.

c3shooter 11-09-2011 10:06 PM

Sounds like your rifle has a breech plug. No, should not leak water or anythingare removable, some not. MAY need removal, cleaning, reinstallation, or may be other problem.

Hawg 11-10-2011 01:43 AM

It could be that somebody removed the breech plug at some point. Not a real bright idea with a side lock. It all but takes an act of congress to get one out and many times they don't line back up right.

unclebear 11-10-2011 06:57 AM

I'm just going to let it hang on the wall till my gunsmith gets back into town and then I'll take it to him see if there's anything that he can do. Thanks y'all for the help really appreciated.

Lewis48 12-01-2011 04:50 PM

Is the water coming out of the nipple?