44 Remington - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 44 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You are very wrong on that. The chamber mouth on a Ruger ROA is .456 to accept the projectile of .457. The chamber is .452 as is the bore of the ROA. That the bullet will fall out of the Ruger chamber is a very dumb comment. And the T 7 is no different than loading any other loose powder loads. There are no other BP revolvers that have the strength of the ROA. When you refer to a post as a ROA lover I expected a negative comment.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #62

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
You are very wrong on that. The chamber mouth on a Ruger ROA is .456 to accept the projectile of .457. The chamber is .452 as is the bore of the ROA. That the bullet will fall out of the Ruger chamber is a very dumb comment. And the T 7 is no different than loading any other loose powder loads. There are no other BP revolvers that have the strength of the ROA. When you refer to a post as a ROA lover I expected a negative comment.
You can pack any steel framed bp revolver so full of black powder you can barely get the cylinder to turn and fire it with no harm done, including open top Colt designs. Anything stronger is overkill and nothing to really brag on. T7 does not like to be compressed period.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #63

I do not prefer to insult your knowledge or lack of concerning these issues. It is an issue that will not matter to people actually shoot ROAs and T 7. Regards

Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #64

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That stuff came in, Durango. We'll know in a couple of days.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #65

Quote:
I do not prefer to insult your knowledge or lack of concerning these issues. It is an issue that will not matter to people actually shoot ROAs and T 7. Regards
Doesn't matter. I've been shooting bp revolvers since 69. Any of them will shoot with a Ruger. Just because Rugers are overbuilt doesn't make them special.

DEO VINDICE

Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I just use Pyrodex, but the manufacturer cautions against heavy compression of triple 7 in loading cartridges. I would assume that if heavy compression isn't recommended in cartridge loading, that it wouldn't be the best idea in cartridge-free loading.

Quote:
Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property.
http://hodgdon.com/loading.html

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Hawg Likes This 
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #67

Extensive testing has been done with T 7 and Black Mag 3. These test have been very safe with compressed loads in both forms. The powder cans carry warnings the Rugar barrels carry a warning and the lawyers are happy. If you are more comfortable with these rules by all means follow all warnings.

Hawg, I can understand your lack of knowledge on shooting BP hand guns if you did not start until 1969. You are joking with me I am sure. You have to know the ROA is the winner more often in BP matches than the replicas. The exception being the Rogers & Spencer.

I would like to drop this diversion. WW Quantrill started this thread to discuss BP handguns. Please don't poison the well because of a personal dislikes. Thx DK

Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #68

Quote:

Hawg, I can understand your lack of knowledge on shooting BP hand guns if you did not start until 1969. You are joking with me I am sure. You have to know the ROA is the winner more often in BP matches than the replicas.

No joke. I'm done.

DEO VINDICE

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm a rookie, so i try to follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding their explosives. I will admit to fudging a bit on the max load for my single shot/sidelock, but that is about it. I want to have fingers left to point and laugh with. Each to his own, i spose.

1969? Heck, i was still two years backordered.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.