44 Remington - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 44 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would have bet against it. I know that my .45 center fires would have poked a hole in it, but I'm thinking these soft lead round balls will just splatter,,,,right? Wrong, they put dents in that steel that almost broke through the other side. I have put round stickies on that old tank several times to sight in .22's and they just leave nice shiny splatters. My whole place is a shooting range, I could care less about punching paper, my shooting involves minute of varmit. If I can poke a bullet in a coyotes skull at 100 yards, then that is what it is about.

That was not the case with the Remmy, I had been given 20 pounds of powder, now I know why, it will end up in the cannon. I ended up switching to the Goex 3f, and we were back in business. 35 grains of that Elephant 2 f went off sort of like just firing a primer in a shotgun barrel. thump thump,,,

The fur and feathers Gestapo just changed the rules on hunting with a black powder pistol in this state, requiring now that gun barrels have to be more than 10 inches. Which prevents you from hunting with a black powder pistol. The Gestapo commission is made up of doctors and lawyers and political appointees from 3 eastern cities, most of them have never owned a gun I would guess. They have turned the agency into a revenue collection organization only for political purposes.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #12

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I really enjoy shooting my '58. I am going to pick up a shorter version this year if Cabala's has them on sale cheap again (I got mine for $170 last fall). I like shooting my center fires, but BP is really more fun for me. I like hobbies that involve lots of "stuff" and BP has that covered, it's also why I like fly fishing better than using my baitcaster.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yep, lots of fun!!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Modern vs BP Charts

I sent Durango an article on BP pistols that had some charts you might find of interest. They compared BP pistols w various barrel lengths to modern pistols calibers and long story short, they compared favorably.

If you ask him nicely, he might have saved it and can send it to you. Just in case you get in a debate w an idiot, use facts, it drives them crazy.

A guy from my gun club loves to shoot hogs. He has shot them w rifles, pistols, then went to BP rifles, then pistols. Last year he got one w bow and the yardage grows every time he tells the tale.

I suppose it's a New England tradition, "Never let the Truth get in the way of a good story" - Mark Twain.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

I'll check with him when he gets back on...I understand what you are saying there.....PM to you.

I would like to take a deer from a stand here, which would be entirely doable, but, if the Gestapo gets you, for the lack of 4-1/2 inches, it can be up to $5000, and 2 years and your guns and your vehicle. We have a serious problem with this agency.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The PC police will probably get me for this but as any X-military or lawman will tell you - OFF the RECORD - that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to discern a location by only one shot.

I find it difficult to understand how you can tell a man what he can or can not do on his own land.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bill like Mike said it shoots little round holes at 25 yds. This was shot from a bench. I use T 7 for a charge of 30 grs and a RB. The Ruger Engineers used the R&S as a pattern for the ROA. The R&S chambers take a .457 as does the ROA the loading arm end clamp as well as other parts. This is a Euroarms Target Mdl.no longer made but DGW has them not cheap. U.S. B/P shooting teams use the DPS R&S Target Mdl. those things are $1,200 dollars a copy. The R&S is the top Dog in reproduction shooters, I think. They use a large cylinder boss so you can shoot all day no binding. Yep, ROA copied that also.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I love the Ocotgon barrel. The ROA is not bind proof but Durango might have already diagnosed this problem as over pressure. Can replace nipples - If you can acquire Ruger wrench or adjust load accordingly.

I'm still trying to find the magic receipe load. Going buy T7 and leave the wonder wads alone to see how things group first.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #19

Function trumps fashion,,,it looks like it would be a fun shooter. I have not had any trouble yet with this 58 on binding. But then I do wipe it out good between cylinders.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

These six guns were for cavalry use. The main purpose was to kill the enemies horses. No Disney or ASPCA, PETA in those days. They were loaded with "Picketts" bullets not balls. The Army issued paper bulleted Ctgs. to troops. These guns are capable of impressive power with the Lee Remington Bullet cast from dead lead. The Rogers & Spencer and ROA use the 220 Gr. Taper Base bullet. The chambers in these war horses were made for heavy loads of powder to drive horse killer slugs. Modern shooters think the chambers were large so they could pour them full of breakfast food.

Mike when are you going to shoot the ROA?