44 Remington
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 44 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default 1858 Remington

Anyone shooting a .44 cal 1858 Remington?

I'm loading this one with 35 grains of 3f and a grease cookie and a .457 round ball. It shaves just a wee shaving,,and it shoot hard. I would put this in the class of a light .45 Colt load.

This is a light weight Mexican Double loop, Cheyenne pattern holster that I threw together one evening to have something to carry the 58 with.

I need to repeat that this is a serious, accurate pistol plenty capable of shooting through a person. I think we missed out on some interesting times, fellers.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 07-02-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post

I'm loading this one with 35 grains of 3f and a grease cookie and a .457 round ball. It shaves just a wee shaving,,and it shoot hard. I would put this in the class of a light .45 Colt load.

This is a light weight Mexican Double loop, Cheyenne pattern holster that I threw together one evening to have something to carry the 58 with.

I need to repeat that this is a serious, accurate pistol plenty capable of shooting through a person. I think we missed out on some interesting times, fellers.
I have hit the bullseye on a pistol target at 25 yards multiple times with mine. I have the uberti 8 inch barrel version. my favorite load is 25 grains of triple fg powder with cornmeal as a filler ,454 ball topped with crisco. Ive also fired mine with the cylinder filled to the top with black powder and it was almost like firing a 357 magnum. This is the only loaded gun I keep in my house. Everything else I have locked up. If it is stolen no big loss I bought it for 250 dollars at midway usa. I have kept it loaded under my bed for 6 months at a time and it fired just fine. Trick to these pistols is to keep them clean and well lubricated. I always clean mine right after the range with soap and water then lubricate with olive oil.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post

I have hit the bullseye on a pistol target at 25 yards multiple times with mine. I have the uberti 8 inch barrel version. my favorite load is 25 grains of triple fg powder with cornmeal as a filler ,454 ball topped with crisco. Ive also fired mine with the cylinder filled to the top with black powder and it was almost like firing a 357 magnum. This is the only loaded gun I keep in my house. Everything else I have locked up. If it is stolen no big loss I bought it for 250 dollars at midway usa. I have kept it loaded under my bed for 6 months at a time and it fired just fine. Trick to these pistols is to keep them clean and well lubricated. I always clean mine right after the range with soap and water then lubricate with olive oil. These soft round balls would make a nasty wound on a bad guy.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yes, some, but I don't think any are short. Posted the stainless steel one I bought most recently here previously. The new Remington Army was favored at the time for a reason but I, for one, am glad I "missed out" on it then.

Like that you use "sweet oil."

Amazing how many variations we have these days right thru the ROA and even NAA!

naa-1860-side.jpg  

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Tiberius,
I am surprised at the sheer power of this pistol....

Here in oil field country, we have what is known as Gunbarrels they are large tanks on a lease tank battery where the oil first comes into. Their purpose is to separate the oil and the salt water. The oil floats to the top and goes off into stock tanks, and the water sets on the bottom and is pushed off into a brine tank where it is collected by trucks and taken to be disposed of. The gunbarrels are constructed of 3/16" steel. So now we have that definition cleared up, mostly.

When the bottom rusts out of the gunbarrels they are sold cheap to farmers who pour concrete floors in them and make storage sheds out of them, they are large enough to shelter a vehicle or small tractor when a door is cut in the side. Point being, I have one. I stepped out on my front step, and was testing some powder, and needed a quick target, and that old rusty tank is sitting in the trees about 80 yards out from the house, and I though, nice, these soft lead balls will just splatter on the side and tell me how this is working. Wrong. No splatter, They damn near shot through that 3/16" steel side at 80 yards from just shooting off my porch step. I am impressed.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #6

I have shot old abandoned cars with mine and it made massive jagged holes. I have chronographed it at over 1000 ft per second. These guns are no joke. I keep all my guns locked up but this one. In a self defense situation I would not feel outgunned using my 1858 remmy. I eventually want to buy a conversion cylinder for mine to shoot 45 longcolt.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Love mine.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hey Bill here is a Remmy 58' and a Rogers & Spencer.

Last edited by Durangokid; 07-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #9

The R&S appears to have perhaps a better set of sights, how do you like shooting it?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Durango must be out busting rocks/liberals... The RS shoots enviable little groups that I w be proud of w my SW 686. Haven't shot my ball n cap Ruger Old Army which is based on the 58 in a long time but 35 gr seems like a middle of the road load.

I too, am amazed it almost penetrated at 80 yds. Would have bet against it but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong & probably won't be the last. LOL

Durango has chastised me about grits & cornmeal as filler to achieve a uniform load. Am trying to keep "breakfast cereals" just for breakfast these days...

Last edited by Gonzilla; 07-04-2012 at 01:35 PM.