209 primers and Round ball.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 209 primers and Round ball.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 209 primers and Round ball.

Is there anyone making a black powder rifle that uses 209 primers and shoots round ball. Can you special order a round ball twist from anyone. I know I could replace the barrel on something but if someone is already making one then I would rather do that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I replaced the barrel on my TC 50 cal Hawkin with a slower twist, more suited to round balls - made a noticeable improvement. I cannot remember the name of the company right now, but it's associated with Thompson, and is right across the street from them, I'm told. They sell all sorts of accuterments (?) accesssories and expendables for the black powder enthusiast. While you're waiting for my memory to kick in, you might ask some folks down at the gun store. (Powder Ridge is slipping in right now - it may be that or something similar.)

I don't know much about the 209s, except an article I once read about a comparison between them and conventional caps. The jist of it was that there was no measureable difference in ignition speed between the two. Caps are cheaper, so I'm sticking with them.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

209's burn hotter. Caps won't reliably ignite powders like Blackhorn 209. Green Mountain sells drop in barrels for side locks.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanik View Post
Is there anyone making a black powder rifle that uses 209 primers and shoots round ball. Can you special order a round ball twist from anyone. I know I could replace the barrel on something but if someone is already making one then I would rather do that.

I doubt it! Most modern BP shooters use Pistol cal Sabot's anyway.
My White mountain carbine has a fast twist barrel and shoots RB pretty good out to 60 yds.Haven't tried them any farther.

;) NEVER..... Approach a Horse from the rear, A bull from the front, or a Fool from any direction.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Some one was making a replacement nipple that used 209s instead of caps. I don't know if it's still available because that was a number of years ago but that would be a good solution if your existing barrel is OK with round balls. Maybe Dixie Gun Works?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Dixie still sells one... item # NP1475 "primer nipple"

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Default Checked it out

I checked out the primer holder with DGW and it hold small rifle primers instead of the 209's. Also the reviews were bad for it as they said it was made too soft to hold up repeated use. Not really what I'm looking for anyway. I want to use the 209 somehow and seal it better from exploding out in the open like the standard percussion cap which I think was the sorriest design I ever saw. The flint lock was a far better design because it didn't blow fragments into your face like the percussion cap does. The blow hole is off to the side and it was a very reliable affair. Not very water proof though.
The biggest issue I have with the new inlines is the cost of the sabot's. It's totally out of line with reality. paying a dollar a shot for a sabot in a package of 12 is abolutely insane in my opinion. I want to use a 209 inline but I want to also shoot round ball only. I think I can do it myself by doing a simple barrel swap on one of the inlines that have the barrel seperate from the reciever. Looks like there are several ones to pick from for my project.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

Soooo you want to shoot an inline but not pay for sabots right? If you are willing to play with different bullets or cast your own you have options. Most folks shooting an inline are using it for hunting, if that is your intent then forget about the round ball as it is a ballistic nightmare. At 100 yards it only has about 1/3 the velocity it had at the muzzle so the same goes for energy. If your heart is set on shooting a round ball just buy a nice Kentucky or New England rifle made for a round ball. If you really want to stick with an in-line and keep the cost of shooting down, a simple option is to buy just the plastic sabot's and fit them with your choice of bullet, either homemade or store bought. No matter which way you go, shooting a muzzle loader is no longer as cheap as it once was. I used to buy a tube of 1000 caps for less then what I now pay for 100 and black powder was about $5 a pound. When I cast my own balls it was hard to shoot up $2 or $3 a day. Now you can do that in 2 or 3 shots. I still shoot traditional muzzle loaders, cast my own balls, mix my own lube and cut my own patches. My biggest expense is powder and caps, that I can live with.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

Problem solved. I found an H&R huntsman in .45 cal with a 1-48 twist. All I need now is a 209 primer conversion. If I can't buy one I will make one.

Gunfire is the sound of freedom

Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #10

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanik View Post
Problem solved. I found an H&R huntsman in .45 cal with a 1-48 twist. All I need now is a 209 primer conversion. If I can't buy one I will make one.
1:48 isn't the ideal twist for round ball. It's a middle ground twist that handles round ball and conicals pretty well but isn't the best for either.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php