Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1862 Uberti Pocket Navy cap jams ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
KAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1862 Uberti Pocket Navy cap jams ?

I need some opinions on this revolver we took to the Range yesterday ?
This is one of the guns we shot :

Every other shot it would cap jam ? Seams the cap fragment was actually getting under the hammer each shot , prior to pulling the hammer back to put the next round into battery ? Never experienced this Colt phenomina before and want some opinions ?
The Caps were the new Remington caps , maybe they are too hot and it was blowing the hammer back and lodging the spent cap under the hammer against the frame ? Maybe the hammer spring is too light and was blowing back the hammer and lodging the cap ? We were shooting 15 and 20 grain Holy Black loads in her and it jambed either way ? Maybe the hammer needs to have some of the face removed as its hitting the nipple too much and causing hammer blowback ?
Any thoughts ? I am not willing to do the pin/post mod on this gun , so there must be another way and reason why this is happening and a cure ?
HELP ! LoL , thanks yall
Oh and by the way , we had fun ! 4 guns , nearly half a pound of powder shot , Holy Crap Batman !
The gun that performed the best was the 1860 Uberti Colt Army .44 full fluted model I had in the classifieds that someone SHOULD have bought . That gun can shoot and I highly recomend you get one . It felt so good to dirty a couple new guns

Cheerios , KAB out

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Whenever I have that problem with a "Colt" Uberti, I replace the nipples with Tresco/Ampco nipples. Problem solved. Apparently some of the Uberti nipples have flash holes that are a bit oversized. The smaller flash hole in the Tresco/Ampco nipples cures the problem. All this is assuming that your caps fit properly and are not too big to begin with.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
KAB

Default Thank you

Thanks RD , sounds like a pretty good plan since my caps fit very well on the gun . Never had that happen before , was baffled .

Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #4

KAB, I"ve had very good results with Tresco/Ampco. Hope it works as well for you.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
KAB

Default Since

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrain49 View Post
KAB, I"ve had very good results with Tresco/Ampco. Hope it works as well for you.
RD , since you own the same gun , you know this next question I am sure too . Since the threade size on the Treso is the same for a standard 51/61 Navy as is the pocket models threade size , is the size of the nipple the same too , as my socket wrench I use on my 51/61's will not fit inside the cylinders wall to reach the nipple on the Pocket ?
My question in simpler terms , is the pocket Navy nipple the same size as the standard Navy nipple ? This is the first Pocket Colt I have ever had so I don't know dooodley squwat about them . Its my wifes gun I bought for her , and I need it to run right .
Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
KAB

Thanks for the PM and advice , RD ..................WE will give a range report soon and see how she runs .

Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #7

I want to see the nipple wrench.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Did ya get er figured out?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
KAB

Default I hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Did ya get er figured out?
I do believe with RD's advice , we should be a go
Will try out the new set of Uberti Nipples for it till the Tressos arrive , will know more this week after the Range trip , yeeehaaa , cant wait to go blow some stuff up ! Bringin some hand cannons this time and some pretty engraved stuff to make dirty too .

Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #10

FYI, first range session, no cap jamming, no malfunctions of any kind. Still using stock nipples plus the modified washers to compensate for the nipple wells that were set too deep from the factory. The new (on order) nipples from TOW may go on the Navy instead, Police doesn't need them.