1858 revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1858 revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
. Biggest problem I have with C&B revolvers is the little caps jumping off the nipple at recoil and occasionally causing a jam.
Properly fitting caps won't jump off under recoil.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #22

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Run a modified PPC course (more time for reloads, but not too much) with the cap and ball revolver (I have done so with others) and let me know what your experiences are and your overall impression of this device as your only defense weapon.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not many folks, actually none that I've heard of, carry a BP revolver for defense in the woods. Just a strange choice IMHO...
You use what you have with you, and there's not a thing wrong with using a BP revolver for self-defense. I know a few people who do. A bullet from a BP revolver will kill a man just as dead as a bullet from any modern weapon.

A BP revolver would hardly be my first choice for self-defense, but it will do teh job, and very nicely.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #24

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default 1858 Remington clone

I had a .44Cal Pieta made Remington, I shot both .454 round balls and conical bullets I cast of soft lead. I generally used the little round greased pads between the ball and powder. Never had a flashover chain firing.

Proper cleaning the cylinder and bore after firing black powder is a must or the
surfaces will rust even overnight. There is a black powder bore cleaner but I used Hot soapy water followed by drying and an oily patch.

Then I purchased a .45 Long Colt, five shot cylinder for the Remington for about $200 and shot factory .45LC and my .45LC reloads which didn't require such extensive cleaning. Alas, I sold the pistol, kept the .45 cylinder and am going to get another Pieta sooner or later but don't tell my wife !

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuate View Post

Proper cleaning the cylinder and bore after firing black powder is a must or the
surfaces will rust even overnight.
That's pure dee bull s**t. It's stories like this that give bp such a bad rep. I live in the humid south and have gone days without cleaning after using bp with no rust. Have gone nine days after using Pyrodex which has a worse rep than real bp does. No rust anywhere.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's pure dee bull s**t. It's stories like this that give bp such a bad rep. I live in the humid south and have gone days without cleaning after using bp with no rust. Have gone nine days after using Pyrodex which has a worse rep than real bp does. No rust anywhere.
I don't know anything about Pyrodex, but I do know about both moisture and black poweder, and any combination thereof. You can call is BS all you like, but I have seen BP weapons form surface rust overnight when they weren't cleaned. And why in God's name would anyone let a weapon go nine days without a cleaning?

I think your weapons are just afraid to rust because they know you won't clean them.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post

I think your weapons are just afraid to rust because they know you won't clean them.
I wish that was all it took. Seriously tho I've been shooting bp for 41 years and frequently go two or three days without cleaning. Sometimes other things get in the way. I learned it wouldn't hurt anything early on because at the time I didn't know it was supposed to. The nine days was an experiment to see how long it would go without rust. I just gave up and cleaned it after nine.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #28

In case anybody is wondering what my guns look like.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
Biggest problem I have with C&B revolvers is the little caps jumping off the nipple at recoil and occasionally causing a jam.

I bet you are shooting one of the Colt repros?

Cap jams are very rare with the Remington design.

In some of the old (1930's) westerns, you might notice that the actors point their revolvers straight up in the air after each shot and cock the hammer. I suspect that this practice originated with the percussion Colts - it's a good way to avoid cap jams.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #30

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not many folks, actually none that I've heard of, carry a BP revolver for defense in the woods. Just a strange choice IMHO...
I have carried mine in the woods every time I go ....... but then too I hunt hogs with it LOL