1858 revolver - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1858 revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
No, but when me and my father go into the woods we usually carry a gun. Mainly because it feels nice to carry and walk around freely. We also shoot some.
If need be it MIGHT be needed for self defense due to it being handy.
If I had my choice I would use a 1911 for seld defense.
I do have to say this though, the 1858 will provide a smoke screen for retreating to spend 30 minutes reloading. lol

Just wondering, why were you curious?
Not many folks, actually none that I've heard of, carry a BP revolver for defense in the woods. Just a strange choice IMHO...

Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #12

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've killed a ton of snakes with one. Mostly water mocassins and some timber rattlers.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10096 Times on 4354 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

Grasshopper, you have learned your first lesson-

READ the directions!

Yes, it is important to follow the steps to load and fire ANY firearm safely and effectively. Yes, a ball and cap is different from a cartridge revolver.

Yes, they had a surprising bit of power. Not a .44 Magnum, but not a Super Soaker water pistol either. DO take the time to do some reading- many of the reloading manuals have section of shooting black powder arms, and several makers/ powder companies have good info on line. I try to buy at least 2 books for each gun I buy- and have wound up keeping some books longer than some guns.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not many folks, actually none that I've heard of, carry a BP revolver for defense in the woods. Just a strange choice IMHO...
I love old things. I think I am the only college student in my area that walks over to the old antique shops after classes.

IMO, old things are awesome, and some old ways are cool too.
The problem with today is people have forgotten their past.
The past is how you are here right now, without the past there is no now and the past repeats itself. So I find it very important to know as much about the past as possible.
Luckily, my love for fire arms and my love for old things go hand in hand. So I am attracted to old guns.
So why not carry and old gun that you love, or at least I believe I will love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Grasshopper, you have learned your first lesson-

READ the directions!

Yes, it is important to follow the steps to load and fire ANY firearm safely and effectively. Yes, a ball and cap is different from a cartridge revolver.

Yes, they had a surprising bit of power. Not a .44 Magnum, but not a Super Soaker water pistol either. DO take the time to do some reading- many of the reloading manuals have section of shooting black powder arms, and several makers/ powder companies have good info on line. I try to buy at least 2 books for each gun I buy- and have wound up keeping some books longer than some guns.
The problem with most books is they draw things out to make the book longer. They spend fifty pages on something that only needed eight or so.
Not saying that I am not going to read, I'm just saying I am going to piss and moan over the the watered down materials.....

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #15

This conversation has been interesting. If you want to carry a BP revolver in the woods for plinking and off hand shooting hell I can't see a reason why you should'nt. If you ever really needed it for self defense (not likely) and you came out of it in one piece, you'd have quite a story to tell. It's more likely you'd use it to dispatch the occasional critter. I would still pack a modern auto-loader if I was hiking through the woods for self-defense.

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unless you know something I don't, I thought that critters were like the only problems in the woods.
It's not like muggers hide in the woods.... right?

And yes, it would be quite a story to tell.
"Seen any grizz?" "Why yes, I killed a Grizzeled bear the other day with a black powder revolver."

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #17

I'm funny that way...I have a pistol with me at all times whether I'm in the woods or the mall and we can all agree the mall is far more dangerous. Like I said, I'm just funny that way...ha ha

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
Unless you know something I don't, I thought that critters were like the only problems in the woods.
It's not like muggers hide in the woods.... right?
Where are you more isolated from help, a late-night fuel stop or out in the middle of a few hundred acres of woods? Yes, people do get mugged and worse in the woods; remember the freaky dude a couple of years ago who got caught for killing the female hiker (and an older couple IIRC)?

Down here, i worry about snakes & friggin meth cooks when i venture into "the woods". In Cali & many other areas, state park-type areas have become a popular place for illegal pot fields tended by people who will not want you talking about their field (sad side effect of prohibition).

edit* maybe this was the killer i was thinking of: http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/hilton.htm not certain.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #19

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep my 1858 uberti remington loaded in my house for self defense . This is a very accurate pistol.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use lard myself. The pig kind, like they had back then. Biggest problem I have with C&B revolvers is the little caps jumping off the nipple at recoil and occasionally causing a jam. I suspect the old timers had that same issue which is one of the reasons why everyone jumped on cartridge guns when they came out. I also find my .36 C&B to be almost exactly the same in recoil, accuracy and power as a generic .38 Special loaded with wadcutters. Can't speak to the .44s.