You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

1858 remington pietta or uberti ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Default 1858 remington pietta or uberti ?

Guys/gals
My next purchase is going to be an 1858 remington, but need to decide between pietta or uberti. Can anyone help me out who has experience of both makes with the pros/ cons of either. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

Liked 192 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Both are fine guns, I've owned both. I would shop for price and make sure you get at least one spare cylinder. If I bought another one it would be a short barrel Navy (.36 cal).

Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 695 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I have been shooting Pietta 1858 blackpowder for a few years now. The ones I have have held up well and are great shooters. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. good luck

Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quality is about the same. Pietta has their name plastered on the side of the barrel, Uberti doesn't.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

IfcShooter, I have a Uberti .44 1858 Remy carbine as well as a shorter barrel Uberti .44 1858 Remy handgun with a fluted, .45 colt (cowboy action loads only) conversion cylinder, plus two Pietta .44 1860 Colt clones, but I prefer the Uberti over the Pietta when it comes to 1858 Remingtons. Here's why.....

1. The Uberti 1858 Remy has a dovetail mounted front sight that is easily driftable for windage and easily driftable for removal. Whereas the Pietta front sight is not driftable for windage and is silver soldered in place so that you have to use a torch to heat up the hard solder (silver solder) to remove it, and no way to move it from side to side for windage since it is set in a round hole type depression and soldered in place.

2. The same is true with the rammer latch. On the Uberti it is dovetailed and easily drifted out, on the Pietta it is silver soldered in place. On the Uberti 1858 Remy with the shorter barrel like mine, if you want to remove the cylinder's arbor from the gun, you have to take off the rammer latch because the arbor won't clear it on my shorter barreled Uberti Remy. No problem, I just drift the rammer latch out with a punch and hammer and re-install it the same way. Can't do that with the Pietta's rammer latch that is silver soldered on.

3. I think the quality of the Uberti 1858 Remys is just a tad nicer overall than on the Pietta 1858 Remy's. I've owned both.

Both revolvers are good, but because of #'s 1 and 2 above, is why I prefer the Uberti 1858 Remy's. Usually the Uberti 1858 Remy will cost
perhaps just a little more than the Pietta 1858 Remy (but not always), but because of what I wrote in #'s 1 & 2 above, it is worth it in my opinion.

The first time you have to remove and or re-install a front sight or rammer latch on a Pietta 1858 Remy, you'll wish you had bought the Uberti.

Here's my two Uberti 1858 Remys.
1858 remington pietta or uberti ? - Blackpowder & Musket

Look carefully at the front sight and rammer latch on my below Uberti 1858 Remy handgun. See how they are dovetail mounted instead of silver soldered like the Pietta's are?

Below is what my Uberti 1858 Remy shorter barreled .44 (with fluted .45 Colt cartridge conversion cylinder) looked like when I bought it. All the finish had been removed and someone had used some kind of chemical to remove all the finish and it etched the steel (naval jelly?, muratic acid?), and it was rusted and pitted, especially on the front left side of the frame as you can see in the closeup pic. (That's why I got it WITH the conversion cylinder for $300.00, just a new conversion cylinder alone costs that and my conversion cylinder was fluted too which I really like). Naturally I had to completely disassemble the revolver, do some jeweler's file filing and dry and wet sanding on some of the worst rust pits on the frame and a LOT of buffing wheel polishing to get it looking like it looks today. It is not nickel plated nor stainless, but is "in the white" with no finish. But I highly buffing wheel polished it and keep it waxed and it doesn't rust even several years after my restoration. Naturally I had to completely disassemble it to do all that.

Steel all etched up from some chemical, and pretty bad rust and pits on the left front of the frame. Lots of careful filing and sanding to get the etching and rust pits all out. Also had to be careful filing and sanding the chemical etched barrel to not round off the flats.

Many filing, sanding and buffing hours later. All chemical etching, rust and pits now gone, before final polishing on my buffing wheel.

Anyway.....see in the above and this below pic how I had to remove the rammer latch to get the cylinder's arbor out of the gun for restoring the gun? See that dovetail slot on the bottom of the barrel for the rammer's latch in both the above and below pics? Easy to just drift out with a punch and hammer on the Uberti, on the Pietta you have to use a torch to melt the silver solder to get that rammer latch off, then you have to reposition it and hold it in place and silver solder it back in place on the Pietta.

IfcShooter, get the Uberti 1858 Remy if just for the easy removal and re-install of the front sight and loading lever latch, instead of the Pietta, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Bill_Akins; 02-28-2015 at 08:32 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Bill, thanks for such a detailed reply, great looking guns you have there.
Bill_Akins Likes This 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Bill, thanks for such a detailed reply, great looking guns you have there.
You're very welcome IfcShooter. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_185&products_id=15314

Slightly off topic but Dixie has a sale on converted 1858. This type of thing was done right after the civil war, so there is historical precedence. Looks like for replica or real black powder cartridges in .45 LC. So has to go thru an FFL.

And on the percussion 1858's too, 1858=Remington New model army.
The Pietta target version too !

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&sort=2a&&page=2

Last edited by Fielder; 03-02-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I own three Pietta's and have to be honest - the dovetailed barrel latch is important only if you plan on cutting back the barrel. The dovetailed front sights are a very nice touch missing on Pietta's, but (given the price point at which you can find a nib Pietta v/s. Uberti,) one I can live with or make do (all the inexpensive guns you normally find are basically "kit" guns anyway - you're not going to find a $950 Hege in a $190 Pietta box nor a $350 Uberti one,).

Will refer you to this article in Guns magazine (article starts on page 17 on diy SAA tuning, so old passed into public domain - publisher threw up pdf as good service to gun community, good magazine worth checking out,) with the admonishment that should you tune your shooter out-of-service, do yourself a favor and send your peashooter to this guy (the "Goon" is a hardcore gunsmith who probably has forgotten more about percussion pistols than you or me combined know about 'em).
Actually, pretty good idea (once you have your new pistol,) to send it to him anyway for a good tune 'cause he'll be able to spot things you or I'd miss and correct 'em before they become "expensive".

P.S. - Bill, looks like you got 'er pretty well whipped into shape! How' she shoot?

Last edited by oldfogey4ever; 01-04-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Senility