1858 New Army - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > 1858 New Army

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Has anyone used cast bullets from a Lee mold in these? They claim better accuracy over a round ball and I like the lube rings near the base. I am going to get a mould but don't know if I should just stick with the round ball.
The round ball is most accurate. The conical isn't bad just not quite as good. The conical hits harder tho.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've had one of these for about five years or so. I bought it because it looked beautiful and I didn't have one. :-) I haven't shot it with BP(in fact it's never been shot). My thoughts are to get the conversion cylinder for it so I can shoot .45 LC out of it. Has anyone had experience with this conversion? I'd like to know if it works well or not? Accuracy? I'd love to start shooting this one. :-)

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #13

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

As I type this I am waiting for a spot on the range. I'll put up a report on how it does later today.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre
I've had one of these for about five years or so. I bought it because it looked beautiful and I didn't have one. :-) I haven't shot it with BP(in fact it's never been shot). My thoughts are to get the conversion cylinder for it so I can shoot .45 LC out of it. Has anyone had experience with this conversion? I'd like to know if it works well or not? Accuracy? I'd love to start shooting this one. :-)
I enjoy using a .45 Colt cylinder with my revolver , I find its accuracy acceptable, point of impact is very different between the two using the sights.
image-3984116950.jpg  

Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I just got done cleaning my New Army and my Hawken after a trip to the range. I must say the New Army shot better than expected, in fact it out shot my Single Ten Ruger. At 50 feet I was getting 3-4 inch groups shooting with one hand. I was loading 30 grains of Pyro FFFG. At some point I am going to want to get the trigger worked but other wise it is a great shooter.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymag
I enjoy using a .45 Colt cylinder with my revolver , I find its accuracy acceptable, point of impact is very different between the two using the sights.
Thanks for the reply. As I understand it you can only use light cowboy loads with this set up? It's not going to be used as a defense weapon obviously. Do you think it's worth getting as a plinker? The cylinder that is.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it you can only use light cowboy loads with this set up? It's not going to be used as a defense weapon obviously. Do you think it's worth getting as a plinker? The cylinder that is.
I reload the .45 colts with trailboss powder and bulk bullets (cheaper to reload that way) factory cowboy rounds is a different story price wise. The cost of the cylinder isn't cheap and when you add the price of the revolver to that you could easily buy a non-black powder hand gun which you could load and unload a lot quicker for about that same price, so it's up to you if you think it's going to be cost efficient.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

After all that said and done it is still really fun to shoot the .45 cartridges out of a 1858 Remington new army revolver, a lot cleaner to.
P.S. It's recommended that you only use that cylinder on a steel frame not a brass frame revolver.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymag
After all that said and done it is still really fun to shoot the .45 cartridges out of a 1858 Remington new army revolver, a lot cleaner to.
P.S. It's recommended that you only use that cylinder on a steel frame not a brass frame revolver.
Thanks for the info. I have the gun already so another $300 for a gun that I can actually shoot isn't bad. Plus I kinda like the classic look it has. And yes mines a steel frame. :-)

Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Good for you. I really enjoy mine, whether shooting cap and ball or using conversion cylinders. Here's 3 of mine. Two .45 and a .36.

conversions-006.jpg  

USN Vet
Retired LEO
" o xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hote tede
keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"